Horizontal TV Antenna Separation

Rather than split and amplify an HD antenna in my attic, I decided I'll just get an additional one with a dedicated lead.

Any idea how much horizontal separation I would need for an anntena of this type:

Frank McElrath

Horizontal separation from *what*?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Sounds as if you are trying to feed 2 separate devices. If so, the potential problem would be mutual reflections of the received signals between the 2 antennas. That would set up multi-path ("ghost" problems in the days of analog signals) reception in both antennas. The end result would be degraded signal strength for at least some of the stations received. The information to accurately answer the question (and not available) is the reception pattern of both antennas. If both are highly directional, you are likely to have less problems. If either or both of them are multi-directional or omni-directional, you may need more separation to avoid problems.

If you have the room in your attic, I would try to align both antennas parallel to each other, or vertical to each other, rather than 1 in front of the other. Also, the signal loss through an additional 10-20 feet of coax is so minimal that in general, I would try to space the 2 antennas as far apart from each other as room allowed.

Reply to
Peter

Hi, Being receiving antenna it's not that critical. Bigger antenna should be behind smaller one pointing to same direction.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Digital does not conform to the old analog standards. You either have a good picture or no picture or sound depending on the tv. There is no ghosting or snow. I doubt if the OP will have problems if the antennas are seperated by a couple feet or as much as practical.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Nope!

The one in front may well "shield" the one in back.

Insofar as reasonable they should be next to each other with a line between the two masts being perpendicular to the line to the signal (the TV station antenna).

They should be separate at a minimum by the longest element of either antenna. That's the element furthest away from what the antenna is pointed at. (That's on the order of 4'.) IOW: no part of either antenna should be closer than 4' from the other antenna. If you "do the math" that means you need a space of about 12' side to side to mount the two antennae.

Frankly, you would likely be better served is you just mount the larger antenna and install an antenna amplifier at the antenna and then an amplifying splitter in the house to feed you TVs including splitters added to permit moving the sets about.

Reply to
John Gilmer

What is a HD antenna?

Reply to
Tony

There is no such thing as a "Digital" antenna.

Reply to
ransley

From Home Depot

Reply to
ransley

Hi, Right, antenna does not know what signal it is carrying. Antenna is designed for gain. B/W and F/B ration based on operating RF.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Huh? Ever heard of wide band, high gain LP(log periodic) antenna?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Nope, it means High Dollar. You get this kewel sticker on the side, so everybody knows.

Reply to
aemeijers

Be careful, a lot of the antennas marketed as "Digital" or "HD" are actually *less* capable -- some only mention "UHF" in smaller print. While many VHF stations moved to UHF as part of the transition, many did not. Some only moved from VHF-lo (2-6) to VHF-Hi (7-13), but a few markets still VHF-lo stations. So there are a lot of markets that still require a VHF antenna (including where I am, with channels 9 and

10 still in use, and those are the ones I have the most trouble receiving with my indoor rabbit ears), and the antenna makers are lying when they don't point this out on the box.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

This is similar to windmills in parts of West Texas. Sometimes there's only enough wind for one.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes, I have.

But not for TV use.

TV antenna are designed for the "TV bands."

The LP is for broad band use. At higher frequences effectively the "bigger" parts of the antenna aren't in the picture.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Yes, but ....

Your standard "old style" TV antenna effectively combined the main signal with "delayed" versons of the same signal. (The "delay" was on the order of nano seconds.) Since a lot of the information is a digital signal is is subtle phase shifts ...

There are "bed spring" UHF antennas which combine signals from several elements with each element seeing the same phase.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Log periodics are a common design for UHF antennas. One popular brand used in the '70s was the "Zig-A-Log".

krw

First off, what is wrong with your present antenna? Does it get good signal now? If it does, you could probably feed another TV with a splitter and still get decent signal strength. If not, then you should put in an amp close to the antenna. You won't know until you try.

Reply to
Mikepier

Hi, Then you must know how LP array is interlaced. It can act like a reflector. Can't tell until tried. Antenna is still empirically designed starting with a drawing based on theory. Scaled down model antennas, full scale ones out at the testing range. I could never create an antenna based on paper work. Until you try you never know that's why I made that suggestion.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I bet you go to any retailer, and the "salesjerks" are going to lie to everyone and say "you need a Digital antenna for your digital tv" what a scam its been

Reply to
ransley