do I need an expensive gas trimmer?

searching online I noticed a great disparity in pricing for grass trimmers from $20 to $200. I'm not starting my own business I just need the grass on the edge of my lawn where my lawn mower can reach to be cut. Will the $20 model do or will I be buying a new one in 60 months?

Reply to
Joe

Regardless the tool, buy the best you can afford and be happy. Cheap tools are neither a joy to use nor do they last.

I found a trimmer that takes regular gas. No need to mess with oil/gas mix.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Well the thing is, I only need the edger for certain areas of my lawn and I've been cutting them with a big scissor trimmer for the past year. I don't really need a trimmer but my wife says we do because it will make the cuts a little neater. Any recommendations on the best inexpensive model to buy?

Reply to
Joe

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Echo is always good

Reply to
ransley

having spent WAY too much on powered lawn tools in the past 30 some odd years, I have to echo the previous reply. Buy the best you can afford (Echo's are good, as well as Toros, RedMax etc.).

Cheap tools are, well..cheap. And you'll quickly find out that they'll end up being hard to pull/start, will run unevenly and break down often. Also, the cheaper gas powered lawn equipment are built with cheap parts that will quickly break.

Your local Home Depot or Lowes has low and mid end equipment and if you purchase the mid end equipment there, it'll probably do the job. However, if you happen to have a lawn and garden store that sells lawn equipment (or a lawn repair facility), go there and ask their opinion. They'll be able to tell you which models have the least amount of repairs, are the most comfortable to use and fit within your price range. Most Depot and Lowes staff haven't a clue what they're talking about when it comes to items outside of their stock list.

You don' t need to buy what the pro's use but you also don't want to buy something that won't be easy to use and will end up in the repair shop after a couple of seasons.

Reply to
01dyna

Another "planet friendly" approach would be to mulch and edge in a way that you can trim with the lawnmower on a single pass. Too often people landscape without mowing in mind. When done correctly and with aesthetically, mulch looks great. It helps to retain moisture and to keep weeds to a minimum. The use of curved edges makes mowing a dream.

Without seeing your yard, it's hard to envision what kind of trimming you need done. Mulching can make the yard and planting areas look quite sharp.

If it is persistent weeds or growth along foundations or posts, a Roundup equivalent should do the trick.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Joe wrote: ...

For small areas and assuming they aren't far remote, consider small electrics instead of gas...

And, you mean trimmer or edger?

--

Reply to
dpb

edger

Reply to
Joe

AMEN! Plus, if you buy from a local equipment outfit, you'll be spending your $$ in your community, supporting a worthy local business and enabling it to stay in business to repair your equipment. These places usually match HD and Lowe's prices, wisely cultivating future and ongoing business.

Reply to
KLS

$20??? You'll be buying a new one in 60 DAYS. Buy a Stihl.

steve

Reply to
S. Barker

oh yes, you should pay about $10,000.

Reply to
Stephen King

there's a stihl available on Craigslist for $120 used, should I go for it?

Reply to
vlasala

the very best string trimmer available in the world is only about $400. Seems cheap when you consider it'll last a homeowner a lifetime and probably his kids and grandkids lifetime also.

steve

Reply to
S. Barker