Do I need an entrance head?

I have a shed that is about 15 feet away from my main power pole. This pole has the MAIN shutoff for my farm, and has several small breakers for the yard light, and one does nothing but control an outdoor outlet which is on that pole. All I need in that shed is 120V power for a few lights and an outlet. I plan to use that same 20A breaker, and run a piece of 12/2 UF cable up the pole from the box, take it across the yard to roof edge of the shed (about 12 feet overhead). I plan to use a screw in ceramic insulator on both ends (the pole and the shed). Do I need to use an entrance head on the shed, or is it legal to just run the wire thru the wall to a junction box inside the shed (caulked around wire)?

Reply to
maradcliff

UF is not rated for over head use. Uf is for direct bury

Reply to
SQLit

Is there anything that is rated for this application, other then triplex, which is way overkill for a simple 120V 20A circuit? I do know that UF does work overhead, at least it has held up for the past 4 years on a string I ran over to a horse shelter. That one however is not wired into the system, it just plugs into an outlet in the barn. It's just there in case of a nighttime emergency, and replaced the extension cord on the ground that I kept chopping up with the lawn mower. I just strung the UF from the barn to the silo, then to the horse shed. But I know that does not need to meet any code, since it plugs in. But this application being wired into the system should be up to code, I suppose...... Not that I expect it to be inspected.

Reply to
maradcliff