Bathroom Exhaust Vent - Soffit Mount?

I had a discussion started a while back about a bathroom exhaust vent (soffit mount) titled "bathroom fan not completely vented to soffit vent?".

I found a solution locally, click on the link and let me know what you think:

Howie

Reply to
Howie

I doubt if they tell you, but that vent should be fairly far away from any soffit vents. If it is near soffit vents it is the same thing as venting it into the attic as the warm moist air is ejected under to soffit only to be picked up and put back into the attic be adjacent soffit vents.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Looks good to me. Probably better than the dryer termination I pointed you to, but I must say that the dryerbox vents work great for dryers!

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

A few years ago we were doing some work on a house and noticed that the soffit was rotten around one of the soffit vents. When we took the soffit off we found that someone had run a flexible pipe from the bathroom vent to the soffit vent to exhaust the moist air. The problem was that all that moisture had promoted the rotting of the soffit.

I don't know if that would be a problem with this particular vent, but I would prefer venting through the roof if there was an option.

Bruce A&B Construction Houston, TX

Bruce

This is the way it was vented before, which after 25 years rotted 3 feet of

2 X 6 fascia board :

At least the moist air is being removed from the soffit to the exterior of the house. Do you think thw soffit will rot?

Howie

Reply to
Howie

I'm not sure. It looks like the fixture is big enough to keep the moist air from directly hitting the soffit so it might not be a problem.