bathroom exhaust fan/heater

I am considering replacing my two bathroom exhaust fans. Both are combination fan/light/heater, so the wiring is already in place (wall switch).

I haven't been real excited about the brands at Home Depot or Lowes.

Does anyone have recommendations for a good brand of fan combination unit. The light part is not real necessary since I have other lighting in place.

I suppose that any fan I use for a replacement would have to match the size of old unit, else I would have to enlarge or reduce the unit opening. Do bathroom fan units come in standard sizes??

Is this an attic job or could it be done from inside bathroom?

Also, the current fans are vented into the attic and I should probably vent to outside.. I would like to avoid venting at soffit if I could-I have vinyl siding. Is it possible to vent to wind turbines that I have presently installed on the roof? I was thinking of a long flexible hose attached to bathroom exhaust and run to attic turbine. Is this possible?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
stevef

Look into Panasonic

Reply to
m Ransley

i second the panasonic. just put two 70cfm in the two baths. they are quiet. only thing i don't like is the light. they use pin type flor.

Reply to
dkarnes

Panasonic...not cheap, but well worth every dime.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

I agree with the Panasonic, nice units. But you might also check out a lighting supply house or a Kitchen and Bath center. Obviously you realize that the BORG's sell mid-level or worse products for the most part, and with something that is going to be in a bathroom a few extra $ is well worth it.

Reply to
just me

Do not use your existing fans until you have properly ventilated outside of the house. Dry rot in rafters is not a fun thing.

If you can manage it, you are better off running solid metal duct, you lose a lot of air pushing power from friction with the flexible hose. Also if you're in a cold climate you should insulate the hose to avoid condensation.

Reply to
Dominic

If the run is over 14 feet, he will need to run metal duct anyway, as that is code, and proper.

Even on a short run...say...5-10 feet, metal duct will indeed be quieter, and flow better at any rate.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*