Do I need a Contractor

Hi-- I have an apartment (approx 850 sq ft) that needs updating-- nothing major just cosmetic--new countertop, stove , floor scraping/repairing (tenant had cats) and a good paint job. Is there a one stop shop that would handle this type of job or am I better off farming it out to 2 or 3 people? How does one find qualified people? I don't know of anyone who has used such services and think I need more than a handyman from a classified. Thanks Ben

Reply to
anonomous

If your choice is "handyman" and a "contractor", I'd suggest the more qualified person. Your cost will be greater, and your value received should be much greater.

Since you don't seem to have referrals, look around town for projects and get names and numbers. Ask for recent references and check them out. Ask the owners about quality of work, adherence to schedule, communications.

Prepare a written list of work, walk through the job site with two or three qualified contractors, ask about other items of work they might see. Get bids on a consistent written list of work items.

Choose one on your own balance of cost, quality, and compatibility.

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

Stores that sell countertops and flooring usually have 'known quality' installation available for a reasonable price.

Pj

Reply to
PJX