Do floating shelves actually work?

The one welded to the wall end of the rod with the two screw holes in the top edge of it that allow you to attach the rod to the wall.

It actually tries to pull the screws out of the wall because the metal plate pivots along the bottom edge of the plate as the shelf is loaded.

Nothing like in fact.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Here's one example :

Look at the pictures ; read the product description ; and most importantly - study the " Instr. " link. The shelf support rods are hidden in the shelf board ; the shelf support plates are hidden behind the shelf board. I have not used these, but an earlier poster said that a similar product worked well and exceeded his expectations. I have come to trust the Lee Valley product descriptions - the load bearing is clearly stated. John T.

Reply to
hubops

It is, that plate is covered by the shelf.

That's much harder to install, getting the rod in the right place to fit into the hole in the shelf and getting it at right angles to the wall in both directions.

Nope, its covered by the shelf.

The plate is much smaller and is covered by the shelf.

Rod Speed

So the plate is nor bigger than the thickness of the shelf, nowhere near big enough to prevent leverage.

Consider how deep the shelf is. Consider the small distance from the rod to the screw along the tiny plate. Consider the huge leverage ensuing from this. The screw would be easily pulled straight out of the wall.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And looks much worse than a floating shelf.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If you would go look at the LV link a zillion folks have pointed you to, you would realize that's exactly what it is sized for.

And, it's sufficient leverage for 100-lb distributed load on a 5-1/2" wide shelf with two arms.

This has gone beyond ridiculous.

Reply to
dpb

It looks like a shelf, instead of some new age shit out of star trek.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On 5/19/2019 10:28 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote: ...

I previously posted the calculation above that shows actual moment arm is well within the product specs with at least a 2X safety margin.

And, YET AGAIN READ THE BLODDY SPEC SHEET!!!! -- the product description shelf depth is 5-1/2" not 1-ft.

Reply to
dpb

Spec sheets can't break the laws of physics.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There will be a bit of friction between the shelf mounting plate and the wall itself if the screws are tightened properly in the first place.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I'll stick to proper brackets which allow for leverage.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If the walls are anything like UK walls, the wood used is cheap softwood and can't take much force.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Trivial to check if it survives a 100lb load fine.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I havent. The spec uses pounds so I used that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You might aswell ask me to calculate if a torch could be seen from the moon.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If I saw a spec written in French, I wouldn't use it. I'd write it in here in English.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

With a huge force due to the amplification from the leverage. Those shelves are just like crowbars pulling nails out of a wall.

Then get a nice looking bracket.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Trivial to test the claim and see that its accurate.

Irrelevant to something entirely mechanical and like a shelf bracket.

And you will find that they don't work very well, for a reason.

No reason why it can look better and serve its purpose too.

All of my roof gutter downpipes are completely invisible. Looks much better than the stupid abortion with them on the wall.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You really are gullible aren't you?

Reply to