DIY Wood buring stove insert?

My local stove shop is selling installation for a 25' chimney for $1295 including all materials plus labor to put the stove in place.

That's a no-brainer, as I will gladly pay that.

But, if I were to get a 2nd hand quality wood burning insert, besides the weight of the thing, has anyone tried installing one of these things yourself?

I think I know the answer...

So, the whole enchilada would be about 3500, including installation and new liner.

I am near Philadelphia, if that helps.

Reply to
ng_reader

I acquired a fireplace insert via craigslist with the stainless liner for my old chimney. Instalation was not a huge deal, but it did require a heavy duty cart, wooden rollers, removing the origional damper in the fireplace and a lot of patience.

If you get a used one, make sure it is EPA "certified", or it may well be illegal to install it.

You may need permits to install it.

Your insurance may be at risk if you don't do a legal installation.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

A chimney sweep quoted me something like $125 to clean my chimney, plus another $40 (give or take - don't remember exactly) to remove and replace the insert. He had some special device to carry it. I was surprised at how low the cost was. Given the certainty of damage to the fireplace, bricks, and floor to DIY, the price seemed like a real bargain.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Certainty??? Not if you use common sense.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F