Dishwasher wiring?

I ripped out our dishwasher a couple of months ago because it started pissing all over the floor, and we were just about to put new "hardwood" (bamboo, actually) flooring in. Ok, it's time to replace the dishwasher, but... The original dishwasher was "directly" wired in to the service. I put directly in quotes because the yutz who did the original job (contractor, I'm sure - the house is 19YO) spliced the wires under the unit with floating wire-nuts - no box. Yikes!

Q: Now that everything is accessable, is direct wire-in allowed? Reasonable? I can easily wire in an outlet box in the space, since I have access to the basement underneath. It's anou outside wall, so may mess up some insulation in the process though. I'm just not sure what is "normal". I'm *quite* sure that exposed wire nuts under a dishwasher isn't right.

Reply to
keith

Thanks! That makes life a little easier. Do I just pull Romex through the floor (I'm going to need a junction/outlet box in the basement to avoid the free-air splices).

Reply to
keith

I agree, this a a lot better solution.

Reply to
gfretwell

You can do it that way. My DW has a short cord and plug wired to it using the box on the machine and goes to a receptacle on its own circuit. . It makes it easier to disconnect if service is needed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, exactly and if you prefer like Ed and Greg posted, you can install an outlet and a cord set, but it's not a code requirement

Reply to
RBM

Thanks a lot folks. I've seen a bunch of wierdness[*] in this house and wanted to get it right this time. If I have an hour or so I'll wire an outlet into the wall (not a big deal at all).

The water supply is the next issue. I had to hack it off to get the old unit out. I'm thinking about a braided supply line for its flexability over copper. I also want to move the supply closer to the wall so it's out of my way in the basement. I have a few weeks (have to get all the molding stained and back on the walls) before we install the DW.

[*]The dryer had the romex sticking out through the sheetrock (free floating in the room) with a surface-mount box on the end. I wired that into the wall when I tiled the laundry last year. I'm not afraid of running a wire in the wall, just wanted to know what was "normal" (and certainly code).
Reply to
keith