Dishwasher Questions Re Draining, Pump, etc.

Hello,

Have a 4 yr. old Kitchen Aid Dishwasher.

Has developed a problem in that it does not drain completely. Leaves quite a bit of water in the bottom after any and all drain cycles.

Realize that I don't have a good understanding of how these gadgets work.

a. Any ideas on why it may not be draining completely like it always has ? Nothing has changed in the setup, and not clogging that I can observe.

b. What usually powers the (drain) pump ? Does it have its own motor, or does the main motor drive it thru a belt, or ?

c. What is the purpose of the main motor ? What does it power ?

Is the main motor sometimes an integral part of the pump ?

If someone might explain some of the functional aspects of all of this, would be most appreciative.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Had the same problem with my KA. Found a chicken bone and two screws in the drain hose, along with some accumulated gunk from years of use. Remove and clean the hose before you get into more serious stuff.

Solved my problem.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

theres probably a filter screen in the bottom of the machine to prevent pump damage, check the screen......

new dish washer detergent lacks TSP, you might poor a few inches of vinegar in the bottom of the machine and let it soak over night, then run a empty cycle. or buy some REAL TSP and add a half a cup and run a empty cycle.

a clean dishwasher may help and cant hurt

Reply to
bob haller

Could be a screen, but most have a soft disposal now and can pass mushy stuff easily. I found though, that screws and chicken bones don't go as easily.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hello,

Have a 4 yr. old Kitchen Aid Dishwasher.

Has developed a problem in that it does not drain completely. Leaves quite a bit of water in the bottom after any and all drain cycles.

Realize that I don't have a good understanding of how these gadgets work.

a. Any ideas on why it may not be draining completely like it always has ? Nothing has changed in the setup, and not clogging that I can observe.

b. What usually powers the (drain) pump ? Does it have its own motor, or does the main motor drive it thru a belt, or ?

c. What is the purpose of the main motor ? What does it power ?

Is the main motor sometimes an integral part of the pump ?

If someone might explain some of the functional aspects of all of this, would be most appreciative.

Thanks, Bob

Go to repairclinic.com they have videos on most appliances that show how they work. Very good for the homeowner. WW

Reply to
WW

I don't know. I'd hate to have the same thing happen to the OP that happened to the guy who was cleaing his swimming pool.

Reply to
micky

I had one that wouldn't drain. I blew out the hose to the sink and it seemed okay. I ran some kind of home made snake through it and it was clean.

But like you, I found a chicken bone. It was the thin bone that's next to the drumstick, and it was stuck in the "air break". The metal covered plastic thing that's mounted on the sink, next to the faucet. (I don't think every dishwasher has one. ) I still don't know how it was interfering with draining, but it was the only thing I changed in that iteration of testing.

BTW, I tested over and over, just one part of the cycle, and while doing so, the heater in the dishwasher heated the water over and over again and eventually made it so hot, it melted a plastic bowl. A bowl I'd washed in the machine many times before with no problem. So, OP, empty the machine before doing much testing.

Reply to
micky

My rather old dishwasher has a single pump directly driven by the only motor. When it drains a solenoid opens a valve to the drain hose. The interval for drain is controlled by the timer.

My guess is the inlet is partly blocked or outlet path is partly blocked. Blocking in the hose, as others have posted, is a good place to start.

Reply to
bud--