Dishwasher overflow question

I have an older GE Dishwasher (about 15 years old) that still works fine. I am having my counters, sink, disposal, and faucet fixture replaced soon. The over flow for the dishwasher is directed to a spout sort of thing on top of the sink, next to the faucet. The main out flow for the dish washer goes to a port on the disposer. The new sink has a four hole configuration (three for water, one for accessories). Can I safely plumb the dishwasher without an overflow? Is there another means for providing an overflow other than a spout on top of the sink? Could the overflow be connected to the drain in the other side of the sink (non disposer side of a two well sink)? SWMBO really wants to put a soap dispenser in the new sink. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Les

Reply to
Gina and Les Armstrong

Not an overflow. Technically, it is an "air gap" device. The purpose is to prevent waste water (from the disposal/sink drain) from backing up *into* the dishwasher during a drain cloggage, as an example. The air gap precludes siphon action occurring. Many cities require their installation.

If not required, an alternative (not quite as positive) is to create a loop in the dishwasher outlet hose which rises under the counter as high as possible before going down to the disposal.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

"Gina and Les Armstrong" wrote in message

Yes, this is not an overflow, rather a device to prevent siphoning back to the DW from the drain. In my case I just have a loop in the hose. Never had a problem. You may have a local code requiring the air gap, but it will still perform without it.

Once you do all the nice new work, how long do you think your wife is going to let that old DW stay in place?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When we first bought the house, the dishwasher would actually discharge through the thing on top of the sink. I checked all the hoses and found the hose that was connected to the disposer was totally clogged. I replaced the hose and the DW discharged into the disposer as it was supposed to do. This is why I thought it was an overflow. The hose coming from the DW attaches to a "Y" at the "air gap" device, and another hose goes from the "Y" to the disposer. This was the hose that was clogged. The hose from the DW is about

5 or 6 feet long. If I ran the hose up to the height of the sink and then down to the disposer, would that create the loop/trap that you mentioned?

Les

Reply to
Gina and Les Armstrong