DISCLOSURE LAWSUIT

In small claims the plaintiff has to prove the case right. How is someone going to prove you knew of a problem if didn't. What if they have a supposed licensed expert testify that there were previous repairs on something like plumbing or drywall behind tile. If you were the 2nd or 3rd owner that doesn't prove anything.

Just some thoughts on this disclosure topic.

Reply to
GCollins268

I live in Podunk, but I can find a whole pile of public records on the net - military discharge, property ownership, mortgages for anyone in the state, traffic tickets, criminal court records, personal property, property taxes, civil suits, wills, etc.

Try your city/county websites for public records. If the buyer has a history of many purchases, I would look at resale prices (it's all on the net here). Call courthouse and see if there are suits initiated by your buyer.

Reply to
Norminn

Apparently quite a few (google is your friend ;): AK ($7500), CO ($7500), DE ($15,000), GA ($15,000), MN ($7500), NM $7500), PA ($8000), SC ($7500), SD ($8000), and TN ($15,000).

Reply to
krw

Haviing sold a home less than 2 years ago PA disclosure wanted to know about EVERYTHING that had a problem, and then what was done to fix it, or its current condition.

made for a long list that probably scared off some buyers.

leave something off and if new buyer finds it get sued for repairs.

neighbor had bad sewer line didnt disclose, new oner had trouble, happened to call same plumber.

bam old owner paid 8 grand for new sewer line plus a couple grand for stuff ruined in basement.

people are sue happy these days

Reply to
hallerb

After 10 years of living in a house, there's a long list of repairs. How could you remmebrs them all. Things have tilted too far to protect the buyer. I've heard many stories about nightmare renters. Now I have one about a nightmare buyer.

GC

Reply to
GCollins268

sadly this is how it is today, just add incompetent or less than honest home inspectors to the mix and buying or selling a home is a nightmare.......

some stuff just normally breaks over time. uyers want a brand new home at used home price........

Reply to
hallerb

I recently learned here the extent of the disclosure form NJ adopted a couple years ago. Not only is it extensive, it's totally stupid. The questions and depth of understanding are consistent with an 8th grader doing it.

Typical questions are:

Has the roof ever been repaired?

Does the foundation have any cracks?

I can understand asking if you have repaired any roof leaks in the last

2 years, or if you are aware of any current leaks. But with this level of stupidity, they should now give you an aircraft type of maintenance log book to go with every house. Apparently, if you replaced a loose shingle 25 years ago, you're supposed to disclose it. And anyone ever see a foundation that didn't have some cracks?

Best advice to anyone selling a house today is to videotape as much as possible before closing to try to capture as much record as you can of what was visible.

Reply to
trader4