direct vent vs. vent free gas fireplace

I'm planning to install a gas fireplace. Fortunately the location has direct access to an unused flue on my chimney. What are the pros & cons of direct vented vs. vent free, I haven't been able to find much on the web beyond the fact that vent free will add moisture.

Reply to
Jeff Dieterle

My vent free also produces an odor - not so much as you notice when you're using it, but when you go outside and come back in it will be apparent. Not a gas smell, but a combustion smell. Also, after using for several hours, the digital CO2 detector will show an increase but never to the point of alarming. So IMHO, they're good for taking the chill off or for mood stimulation, but not for long term use.

Red

Reply to
Red

It will also heat better, but as noted it may have an odor. Don't assume that the available vent is suitable for the fireplace. Have it checked by someone who really knows first.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

After reading the first two "Caution" and "Warning" pages of the installation instructions of a "vent free" appliance, most "sane" people wouldnt use one anywhere but in the great outdoors. :-) Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

You really have a CO2 detector? Not a CO detector?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Which it will heat better. What do you mean specifically by don't assume the vent isn't suitable? It's a clay tile lined chimney inside concrete block veneered with brick.

Reply to
Jeff Dieterle

Define better. :-) non-vented will use less fuel to create the same amount of net heat. It may or may not heat faster.

The exhaust of a gas burner is different than that from wood, for example. What works well for one may not work well for another. One factor is the size of the flue. You don't want too small, but you also don't want too large. There are several factors and the best (best as in safest) is to have a professional check it out. I would want to do that anyway if it has not been done for a while, just to make sure there are no defects.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Also check your local codes. Unless they've changed things, they are not legal in NY. Could be the same for other states, too. I don't know.

Reply to
Pat

I've been using a vent free inside an unused fireplace for about 7 years. Its great. We live in a split foyer (walk in and go up or down) and our basement/family room is quite chilly in the winter. A vented unit does little more than look pretty since 90% of the heat goes up the chimney. Our flue is closed, the doors are open, and all of the heat goes into the room. Keeping it on a low trickle is enough to keep the room nice and toasty. I don't have any moisture or CO issues (we have a detector in the nearby hallway.)

The flame on vented units tend to look more realistic. Our looks more like a stove on high with fake logs around it (lots of blue). But again, I'm more interested in the heat than the looks.

--Jeff

Reply to
JB

Can't list the pros and cons. My thoughts are that anything that is burning needs to be vented. Check out your chimney to make sure it is in good condition. My gas fireplace is side-vented to the outside--unfortunately, I have no chimney. Currently, I have the fireplace stuffed with insulation (I havn't turned it on in over 8 years) because it creates a cold draft.

Reply to
Phisherman

Correct, but the question is how much venting. Many of the new propane heaters are 99+% efficient so there is not much fume, however, they do consume oxygen. Since the airtightness of houses varies considerably, that is not a big deal in most cases. Air going out a chimney = the same amount of air infiltrating someplace

Millions of homes have gas ranges and ovens with no vents and no problems..

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've always wondered how safe these were...

Does anyone know if they are acceptable for use in Alberta, Canada (Calgary specifically)?

Reply to
Noozer