I want to install vent free gas logs in my fireplace and am looking
for some advice. I currently have a Superior BRF 4375 fireplace insert
that is vented and I have been burning wood in it for the past 12yrs.
I have looked all over the documentation and no where does it say that
I cant use vent free logs, it talks about burning wood, but Im
thinking thats mostly because vent free werent around 12yrs ago like
they are now.
Im looking at logs that are 32,000 btus and the fireplace sales guy
(went to a real fireplace shop) said that if my fireplace can handle
wood, gas logs are not a problem what so ever. He advised that wood
burns hotter than a set of gas logs ever could.
I cant find any information on Superior Fireplace company so Im
looking for some advise from those of you in the business.
Here is some real useful advice. Pick any vent-free gas logs you like.
Before you purchase them, read the first two pages of the instruction
manual. There is enough warnings and cautions to keep anyone from
installing them. All kinds of stuff about leaving a window open to
allow fresh air in. Yeah, that works real well when it is 0 outside.
Why would you want to burn 32,000 btu's of natural gas and dump all of
those byproducts in your home?? I dont care how clean they say it
burns. It is by products of natural gas and they dont belong inside
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:22:53 +0000 (UTC),
firstname.lastname@example.orgNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:
Most kitchen stoves are used for 15 min to 30 min if that a day. Most
of the time the microwave is used (unless you are counting
Thanksgiving). A fireplace runs all day sometimes on the weekend and
even into the late evening. I think there is quite a bit of difference
in the two. And besides that, even a kitchen stove should be vented.
Why vent free? We installed a gas insert in our old woodburning
fireplace. I can't recall the name of the style, but it's got two
flex ducts running up the chimney, one for intake, the other for
We don't need to open a window, it doesn't exhaust into the house.
It's as nearly perfect as can be.
IIRC, my husband and I installed it in a couple of days ourselves.
don't recommend that for everyone. He's a mechanical prodigy.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.