Direct Vent vs Power Vent? Recommended for DIY-ers?

I don;t know the specifics of the federal tax credits, but would think a high efficiency tank type probably also qualifies. The credit is for 30% of the cost of the energy efficient unit, installed.

There are currently no gas tank models that qualify for the credit.

jc

Reply to
Joe

Left off the source:

jc

Reply to
Joe

somone should check with AO Smith perhapsa the vertex is in the approval process???

Reply to
bob haller

This is an (almost) purely pragmatic undertaking . . . my joy and satisfaction will come from spending noticeably less to heat water and having "optimized" the investment, if you will. If I can get a rebate from Obama and it means my total installed cost is less than option "B" then it's a good thing.

So far, western Ohio isn't an arid climate yet so water conservation is rare. I have been in the home 6 years and the well has been reliable. Before I do the flow test I have some old galvanized pipe at my capacity tank to replace - it may be salted up. Right now when the washer is filling, there is literally no water anywhere else in the house (tank set at c. 60 PSIG) and one shower at a time is the max.

So only heating 2 GPM x 77 =B0F may not be a downgrade. With the 50 gallon tank, 3 of us can take showers in quick succession and still not run out of hot water.

If I find that AO Smith around here for less than $1000 it would definitely be a contender. The concept of a tankless heater is appealing but I understand the implementation (especially in the cheaper models) may disappoint . . .

Thx JR in OH

Reply to
bari-old-dad

Thanks for the good info. I see on the list there is no tax credit for solar for pools either. Which is typical of the liberal mentality on these things. One would think, to help save the planet, they would be happy to give a credit for anything that reduces CO2 emissions. But noooo, they just have to make sure that anyone that has enough money to afford a pool, can't benefit. A friend of mine is looking into it for his pool to replace NG. I'm sure it finding this out will at least delay his decision.

It's a shame too, because that is one application that solar is well suited to. Instead of promoting the things that are easy and do work, we are going around paying tens of thousands of dollars for people to put up solar electric systems, which, at the end of the day, will never pay for themselves.

Reply to
trader4

Lots of folks have solar heated pools that they paid for. I don't see any particular reason why I need to help someone else pay to do it.

I agree on PV (and also wind) systems. We happen to live in the second worst place in the US for both and it is just totally stupid for the government to be asking me to help pay for people to install systems that just won't work here just to get the warm and fuzzies that they are doing something. This is just as stupid as last years grinding up food to make ethanol to keep the SUVs going. Just in our state alone they picked $1.2B out of pockets to subsidize ethanol plant construction.

Reply to
George

Of course the same statement could be made for tankless water heaters or high efficiency gas furnaces or AC. Yet, the govt program subsidizes those with a 30% tax credit. The "particular need", at least according to the folks who came up with the subsidies, is to save the planet.

Reply to
trader4