Delta Scald Guard Single Lever bathtub control?

I have the above control on my bathtub in a vacation home that we visit for several months each year. This control is about 28 years old. It still works ok, but lately we have noticed that it is very touchy to get the settings for warm/cold water exactly how we would like it.

To explain: I can have the control set near the mid-range of the control, and the water temp will be rather cool. If I turn the handle just 1/2 inch more, the water is quite hot !! So, it is rather hard to adjust, without being too hot or too cold.

Hot water heater is set at 135 degrees, and the cold water is spring-fed, so it is really cold.

Question-- do these controls wear out so that we would see this symptom? Does this sound normal ?

Thanks for any comments !!

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

Don't know what temp our hot water is set at, but we keep it set so we can shower with HOT water only (no mixing in of cold) and never have to worry about scalding. Although you may have one, I see no reason to have hot water any warmer than what is comfortable to shower with. Des

Reply to
Des Perado

Setting the water heater temp so that you don't have to turn on any cold water in the shower typically may not be hot enough. If the water is not hat enough it promotes bacterial growth inside the water heater. This will be apparent if your hot water smells "funny". This may not be as big a problem if you are on city water but I wouldn't reccomend it if you are on well water.

spring-fed,

Reply to
E. Ruff

Thanks for that. We live in a BIG City with mountain water source. Have been keeping our hot water at shower temp for over 15 years and never noticed any smell. Des

Reply to
Des Perado