Delay Plug fuse Question

What is the purpose of a "delay fuse" and where is it used? When we moved into our new old house there were a few on the shelf in the closet, but none in the fuse box.

Thanks ChrisGW

Reply to
ChrisGW

A delay fuse is a fuse that lasts a little longer than the regular fuses. The purpose is when the fuse reaches it's blow out point for a split second and rather than blowing imediately...it will hang on through that split second...When a constant amperage overloads the fuse then blows... A good example of these delay fuses or what I always referred them to...."Slow Blow " fuses ... are used in stereo speakers and amplifiers. A furnace for example, could draw a lot of amperage when the fan motor starts....but after running, it draws very little amperage. The "slow Blow" fuse would be good fopr an application like that....hope that was of some help....Jim

Reply to
Jim M

ChrisGW wrote:>What is the purpose of a "delay fuse" and where is it used?

They allow a few seconds of overamperage to handle the greater demand for juice on certain system start-ups. They're used in the fuse box, of course. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Thanks for the explanations.

ChrisGW

Reply to
ChrisGW

The only good use I can think of off-hand is for a circut that's driving a fairly heavy motor, at near capacity. Generally that would have been kitchens with big-ass blenders of the "rat homogenizer" size, in older homes, and maybe garage door-openers and washing machines now.

The idea is to keep the start-up surge from blowing your breaker, when the actual operating current is well within the capacity of the circut.

Since the power requirements of your kitchen equipment probably don't require it any more, I wouldn't use them at all. If you find yourself blowing fuses, THEN think about whether that's as appropriate place for them.

Reply to
default