dehumidifiers

Mark,

I'm in Boston too. I just bought a Dandy Sillouette AC/De-Humidifier. This unit has 2 6" ducts that connect to a plate which goes in the window. 1 is an air intake, the other is the hot exhaust. This thing kicks butt! Works absolutely awesome. It was 450$ in attleboro, I think the place was called Percy's, not 100% on that tho, it was next to BestBuy right after the Emerald Sq. Mall. Here's a link to what I got.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

I'm not far away from you and for the last 2 days I used a dehumidifier to dry up the puddle in the basement from water condensing on the freezer.

It may be a bit warmer in the basement, but with the dryness, I don't see the problem.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Hi...

We're in a very soupy heatwave here in the metro boston area (90 degrees, 90 percent humidity), and to top it off a lot of moisture seems to seep up through our foundation (not through cracks but seemingly just through the concrete).

My wife tried buying a dehumidifier at the hardware store today, but she says she's returning it tomorrow; it may work at taking some water out of the air but the downside is that it's exhaust is very hot - adding hot (but hopefully drier) air to an already hot room.

So, are there any recommendations for a good dehumidifier that might not have as hot exhaust? What are the better models out there?

Thanks _mark

Reply to
Mark Modrall

Dehumidifiers use electricity, so obviously they will produce heat. Consider an airconditioner. They also dehumidify the air and send the heat outside.

Reply to
toller

That the way they are designed to work. The only other alternative is a small window a/c unit.

Reply to
Vic Dura

You can't break a law of physics.

All that electricity running the dehumidifier will be turned to heat. In addition you will also get heat because as water condenses it releases the heat it absorbed when it condensed.

You need an A/C because it does the same thing as the dehumidifier and one more thing, it dumps all that heat outside.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan