Dehumidifiers

I currently use a couple of the reusable, crystal dehumidifiers in my boat when it is in storage .. type that you plug into mains to 'dry out' and turn the crystals back to blue.

Thought about getting a mains powered dehumidifier, see that Groupon has them on offer:

Are these Peltier Effect units any good ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Dunno never had one. Bit about it here.

harry

We've used a mains powered de-humidifier on our boat, over the last 15-20 y ears, during the winter months. It is excellent. Keeps everything nice and dry. We have mains power to the boat to run the de-humidifier. A length of hose pipe runs from collection tank in the de-humidifier to the shower sump whence over board via the bilge pump in this sump. This sump is in the bil ges, under the main cabin floor, so gravity keeps the water flowing from th e de-humidifier.

I know some who keep their de-humidifier on the draining board of the sink and let the collected water run into the sink and thence overboard by gravi ty as the sink outlet is above the waterline.

If you are going to use a bilge pump to empty the water overboard you will need a battery charger to keep the domestics battery up to power to run it.

Reply to
fred

In message , harry writes

Both that and the related article

mention its main disadvantage as being poor power efficiency.

Reply to
usenet2012

During the damp part of winter I use a dehumidifier to keep the garage below 68 percent RH, the level at which fungal spores grow. Because of the low temperatures I use a desiccant-wheel type, which operates down to 2 degC. It adds about 3 to 4 degrees to the garage temperature, and on wet days can pull 20 litres of water out of the air every couple of days. If your boat is well-ventilated, you might find there's plenty of humidity to get rid of.

The down-side is that this uses between 100 and 300W, depending on which mode it's in, and it can be expensive to run continuously. What I now do is on wet and windy days I don't run the unit at all, but when the wind drops the unit can get the garage below 68 RH from the 90 - 95 RH it settles at. Until the next wet and windy day, that is.

I note that your web page doesn't give any real data, such as electricity consumption or minimum temperature.

Reply to
Terry Fields

years, during the winter months. It is excellent. Keeps everything nice and dry. We have mains power to the boat to run the de-humidifier. A length of hose pipe runs from collection tank in the de-humidifier to the shower sump whence over board via the bilge pump in this sump. This sump is in the bilges, under the main cabin floor, so gravity keeps the water flowing from the de-humidifier.

let the collected water run into the sink and thence overboard by gravity as the sink outlet is above the waterline.

need a battery charger to keep the domestics battery up to power to run it.

Is this a Peltier effect unit or compressor type, or the rotating wick form ? As my use is identical ... what model did you buy

Reply to
Rick Hughes