Dehumidifier - permanently on

I have a GE AHG40LDMI dehumidifier which never turns off. Even if you set it to 70% and put it in a room that is definitely less humid than that, it stays on. It used to work fine...just seems to have gone this way in the last couple of months. It is still in warranty (I only have the receipt...none of the books or anything, so not sure if that will work). Any ideas what is wrong with it, and if so, is there anything I can fix easily? Is this a common issue with dehumidifiers?

TIA

Mat

Reply to
Mat and Suzy

The problem is , the dehumidistat ...or control, is stuck closed allowing the compressor to run all the time. SOmetimes if you hit the cabinet with the butt of your hand hard, it will loosen up and start to work ok again.

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

What is room humidity, 69%? If its under warranty then theres your best bet

Reply to
m Ransley

This is Turtle.

There is one way to stop a DeHumiditifier from being stuck. You buy a new one or see if it is still under the 1 year warrenty on all equipment. As you say it is still under warrenty and most companys don't repair them and just exchange them out for a new one. These companys can furnish a new one cheaper than they can pay a service man to try to repair it.

TURTLE

P.S. or is our resident Troll over at alt.hvac and has moved over here to alt.home.repair. Be wear !!!!

Reply to
TURTLE