Deck waterproofing options

If you are looking for THE best wood product, it is TWP. Log home owners who have a lot more wood to preserve than just a deck will verify this is the best. Lasts between 5-8 years. Depending on your application you would use TWP 200 or 300, definitely not the less-expensive 100.

Harder to come by, not sold in stores so you have to order it through a distributor. Here's a link:

Yes, it's expensive and you'll use a lot the first time since it penetrates way into the wood. But still a lot cheaper than replacing all that decking.

"Scandinavian

Reply to
Unrevealed Source

My house has about 300 s.f. of decking, some in cedar that I put in two years ago, and some from the 1980s (I think) in what looks like pressure-treated. The older stuff wasn't maintained, and is badly cracked. I had both treated professionally two years ago, and it looks like time for another coat.

Too many options, and all expensive! I recently used some Behr "Scandinavian tung oil" indoor/outdoor stuff on cheap teak furniture, where it worked pretty well. I deliberately dripped some on a corner of the PT deck, and the result looks and feels good. Would this be good for a main coating? Are the acrylics better? Just plain linseed? I don't mind waiting a week before using the surfaces.

Thanks for ideas.

-Theo

Reply to
Theo

For decks and outdoor furniture, best I've found is Penofin Oil.

If you want to go to color for some reason, Sikkens Rubbol DEK is good.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Scandinavian

stain $23 gal at Lowe's or Home Crapo. I had 650 sq ft took two gal and about a cup. I used a hot dog roller to put it on and a house broom to brush it in. It came out nice was surprised.I spent quiet cleaning the deck before I stained it. I have also used Penofin, but the last couple of times I wasn't to impressed, I know the keep changing the formulas so you never know what you have anymore

Reply to
Sacramento Dave