Deck is done!!! - GOOD CONTRACTOR ALERT!!!

Hi again RD -

I appreciate the info, and never once thought you were trying to "tear down" the project.

Z channel was installed, the joista are indeed toe nailed at the and of the deck, and the two sets of joists are tied together with some kind of metal thingies. (not sure the name, I looked under the deck today to see.

Thanks again!

Chris

Reply to
SilverUnicorn

TP -

That was a consideration, and we went with the deck instead. We wanted something that was a direct walk out from the house with no steps. Also there is solid granite about 13" under the dirt, and if we needed to go below the frost line, we may as well have dug footers. It would have been a nightmare to get everything even for a paver patio (in my opinion).

A friend of ours has a very nice paver patio, and it is gorgeous.

Chris

Reply to
SilverUnicorn

Bill -

Hello and thank you for that reminder. The deck company also advised us of the hazards of grilling too hot and too close to the railings.

That was a result of non quality contractors not piping the upper level AC condensor drain into the gutter far enough. The drain water would drip from the drain tube, behind the gutter (which was haphazzardly cut out to go around the drain cause the drain was there first) and never properly caulked. The water would drip, hit the chingles, and thus, after time, making that icky looking stain. The drain problem and gutter has been corrected (properly), and I just hot a pressure washer, so the stain should soon be history.

Thanks for the heads-up though, it is appreciated.

Chris

Reply to
SilverUnicorn

On 8/28/2005 8:42 AM US(ET), SilverUnicorn took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Before using the pressure washer, you might try a plastic patio furniture cleaner. My wife swears by it and buys 6 bottles of it at a time. She uses it when all other cleaners fail on anything. Do not use it to clean enamel painting aluminum gutters though, it will take the enamel paint right off. Don't ask me how I know. :-) The 'Zep' brand is sold in HD in the liquid cleaners section.

Reply to
willshak

Thanks again - I heard "Krud Kutter" was pretty good as well. Ever try that?

Chris

Reply to
SilverUnicorn

On 8/28/2005 9:14 AM US(ET), SilverUnicorn took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

No. I only suggested Zep because it is made for vinyl, but works on other materials too. It says not to use on automobile finishes, but I used it on my clear coated truck to remove thousands of white paint specks from freshly painted road lane marking stripes that were kicked up by another car. I never noticed the tiny specks until I washed my truck some time later. The plastic cleaner was the only thing that worked after trying bug and tar remover, scratch remover, polishing compound, mineral spirits, gasoline, and kerosene. There was no damage to the truck paint.

Reply to
willshak

ooooh nice. I was just about to slam it for having no grill, then I see the grill area :P Top Notch.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

I should've said "it's not possible to do it correctly". A z flashing is intended to go over the rim board, it's not meant to be over top of the joists, cutting a continuous flashing at every joist makes penetration of elements more evident. Just because you do it all the time, doesn't mean you do it correctly, I suggest you take another look at your methods. You suggesting "it'd probably be fine", doesn't mean it is safe guarded. The reasoning is not to keep the top of the ledger from rotting, but to keep it away from the main structures rim board. Detail to critical areas, are a must.

This is the exact location, which I'm speaking of the structural integrity. A 40-45 degree hanger should be seen here, due to the eight toe nailed fasteners, one can only assume no hanger was used. Eight nails for "temporary" securement, seems more like a trigger happy deck builder attempting to cut corners.

Absolutely not. You totally are overlooking the "meat" at the end of the joist. Toe nailed joist with no hangers or bottom ledger, are unacceptable when used for loads.

I'm very familiar with building practices.

I might come across as harsh, but I do what I do for a living, it comes with the job. BTW, if I crawled under the mentioned structure, and seen what I seen in the pictures. It would be red flagged, until corrected.

Reply to
RD