Dealing with drum glides on Montgomery Ward dryer

Have an old Montgomery Ward dryer ca. '79. When replacing the ball/socket bearing at the back of the drum, I see that the glides are showing considerable wear. The dryer still functions but it's just a matter of time before they're worn to the point where they'll be unusable. Obviously the slight dip in angle contributed to the spindle of the socket bearing making contact with the support plate sooner than it otherwise would have.

This one uses a set of three of the top-mounted type - i.e. the drum hangs on them. As I'm sure is always the case, the center one on top and the one on the "upwind" side of the drum rotation show the most wear. I found that a replacement set would be around $70 by the time I pay tax - I only paid $100 for it in '88. It's otherwise intact, I hate to get rid of something that's basically perfectly useable.

I wonder if there's some place where I could get nylon stock and form new ones with creative application of a belt/disc sander and Dremel? (Hence, the inclusion of sci.materials in the x-post) Also, wondering what kind of adhesive would be best to reapply these assuming I'm able to successfully fabricate new ones? Also, what about the fibrous cloth material they sit in?

Thanks for all input.

Reply to
Doc

There are many plastics supply houses that carry nylon stock in various forms. I have no idea about the fibrous cloth, and very few adhesives will stick to nylon. Or course, they may not be nylon, but Delrin or some other material . Good luck but you may find the material will also be very expensive. Try

for prices.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The part shouldn't be that expensive. Keep looking, and try a local parts vendor that only does parts, not sell appliances too. Make sure you get pricing for the part that has the brand of the manufacturer, not any other brand.

Reply to
nospamtodd

Why not go to junk yard and salvage old ones?

Reply to
Ed