Pool Problem.....

My pool lines (pipes) are clogged up and I have been unable to remove the clog with a 6hp shop vac. Typically this works but for some reason, it's not blowing out the lines this time. What is the most powerful vac you can get? Are there any other methods of clearing pool lines that might be more affective? Without the lines being clear, there is little pressure and there's no use in running the pool, without proper circulation. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Brigadier General Milton Mish

are they solid pipe, like PVC or flexible chincey lines?

Reply to
hallerb

They're plenty solid, at least as far as I can ascertain. I was wondering though how much pressure they could withstand. The problem is that I have two large trees that hang over my pool, I never considered this when I bought the home. Unfortunately, heavy rain and high winds are common around here during the summer so I imagine those lines got pretty clogged and of course, fall is around the corner so you have even more debris now. It's relatively easy to keep clean during the calmer weather of mid-summer, provided there are no storms but this time of year it's a bitch. I don't know what to do if I can't those lines blown out. The pool people use the same size shop vac I have so calling them won't help. July is about the only month it stays relatively clean. Planning on selling the house soon but can't leave the pool as it is. It's time to shut her down but have to fix this problem first. Thanks!

Reply to
Brigadier General Milton Mish

Had this problem a few years back. Turned out to be a plug of diatomaceous earth that had somehow gotten lodged in the skimmer pipe. In my case, pool srvice company ran high-pressure compressed air through the pipe. Had to cut through the pipe near the filter, put a plug in open end with an air fitting through the center, hooked it up to a compressor and pumped air in until the plug gave way and blew 30 feet into the air. Then repaired pipe with an outside connector sleeve. Compressed air is the way for you to go.

Reply to
Legandary54

They are usually pressure tested at 40-50 PSI during the pool plumbing rough. The pipe itself is up in the hundreds of pounds. The problem will be the strength of the joints. Be sure you blow them back the opposite way of normal water flow. City water pressure should work if you don't have "air". It does sound like some fittings and PVC cement is in your future. I ended up putting my spa back together with Fernco fittings (hose clamps and a rubber sleeve with a metal wrapper) when I had to repair a pump so it is easy to get out now.

Reply to
gfretwell