Dead ivy on foundation

So, I had this major infestation of ivy which covered big sections of a 4 foot high painted foundation wall and in some places extended up to the brick above. My basic strategy has been to spray the heck out of it with roundup last fall, then go out once a month in the winter to cut away the dead ivy that was loose. Now, there is still a fair amount of dead ivy with a death grip on the wall.

Whats the best way to procede now? Should I just continue manicuring it til the wall is almost clear, or just go ahead and try and clean it off by force and then repaint now? If so, whats the best approach, a scrubbrush?

Thanks.

-P

Reply to
post2google

I'd go for a power washer, but be careful, they can rip bricks/mortar up, if you are not careful.

Reply to
professorpaul

let it rot, paint late summer or fall.

attempting removal will likely do additional damage, let mother nature take care of it

Reply to
hallerb

Scraper, wire brush or wire wheel on drill, spot prime bare spots, topcoat. Use safety glasses when prepping if using wire brush or wheel. BTDTY more times than I care to remember. Seems like there is always poison oak in with the ivy.

Reply to
NickySantoro

I found round up not good enough for ivy. I had to go and cut everything at ground level(weed wacker, and trimmers) and then wait for it to dry up to be removed by hand.

tom @

Just Joshin

cut down then put rock salt around base of plant, add a little water, salt kills everything

Reply to
hallerb

Doesn't salting the land kill long term? Meaning you can't even have grass take seed later?

tom

Reply to
Just Joshin

Have your mother in law over for dinner. Send her out to chew on the ivy while everyone else enjoys a nice pot roast dinner.

Reply to
Me