Raised Beds and Ivy??

Hello All, first post here!

I am a passionate gardener, but have lived in a flat for the last 20 years. I* have recently bought a house and have a largev overrun garden. I want to grow veg and I have a site partially prepared. I have eight raised bed kits ready to go. They are about ten inches deep.

Previously the ground was infested by a large bramble (as big as two apple trees) and underned this was an infestation of common ivy - the wild hedgerow type. I have dug out the bramble (it was like struggling with an alien monster) and I have removed the crown. The remainding roots are treated with glyphospate. I have given similar treatment to the ivy - glyphospate and then raking off the surface - which was an intertwined with a network of tangled stems. I intend to dig out as much root as I can muster but it wont be all of it as there are thousands of roots.

On top of this must go my raised beds - eight in all. Now here is my question.

I could line my beds with plastic sheeting and this would surely stop the ivy resurfacing, but I am ruluctant to do so as the deeper rooting crops would only have ten inches to play with. I would prefer to dig over the topsoil under the bed, then add some leafmould (which I have) and then some horsemanure (free from local riding stable, then a top dressing of compost.

Now ivy seems to be quite surface rooting, if I do this, will I find that it rises from the dead and makes it way into my riased beds, or, will it simply give up and go away? I dont mind so much if the ivy reappears between the beds as I shall pave this area anyways.

Whats Ivy like? Is it a persitant foe, or does it die if you keep cutting it back? How deep is its root structure?

Any advice is welcome.

Zero

Reply to
ZeroZero

If you find the answer, I'd like to know. I removed the ivy from my rear yard over 10 years ago and still have sprigs poping up ever spring - pulled out 5 within the week.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Persistent vigilance for a couple of years will get rid of it. Just keep pulling, and often. This probably isn't the answer that you wanted.

Reply to
Billy