crumpling grout -- what is the cause?

After an cheap contractor did my bathroom, I found the grout crumples into powder with moderate scraping -- as if scraping a piece of chalk.

What might be the cause of this so I don't make the same mistake, if I decide to regrout?

Reply to
peter

incorrect amount of water used to mix the grout, or water was added after it started setting rather than throwing it out.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Old material and/ or improperly mixed.

G Henslee