Creaky stairs fix ?

In my condo the stairs have become very creaky. They are covered w/carpet and I am sure they are prefabbed. When I walk up and down the stairs certain steps creak a lot, I don't think they are going to fail anytime soon, but it just not instill a lot of confidence.

How do I fix these stairs ?

  1. ) Rip all the carpet off and glue & screw it all back together ?
  2. ) Order new set of stairs ?
  3. ) Hire a carpenter to patch them up ?

Thanks

Reply to
sidwelle

Can you get behind the stairs? If so, most of what you need can be done that way. If not, option 1 would be my choice.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I woudl make a log of which steps creak, leave the carpet in place, have someone moderately heavy, 160 poutnds or so, stand on the step, and nail some long finishing nales right through the carpet, using a nailset to push the heads through the carpet and into the wood so you don't feel them wh en you're barefoot.

The nails should go in in pairs about 30 or 40^ from vwrtical, in opposite directions, so they won't pull out. YOu see what I mean?

I guess they should go in the risers. Where else?

Reply to
Micky

On a construction remodeling site, I heard two guys with a power drill drilling screws into old floor board saying that that's how to stop noisy creaking.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

i believe they make screws that go through the carpet, then snap off with the sharp parts down in the carpet. I vaguely recall seeing this on This Old House many years ago.

I've lived in my current house more than 40 years. Last year I had all the carpets removed and the wood floors repaired and refinished. Bare wood is so much nicer than carpet.

There was a recent Ask This Old House that showed wood stair repair. They were removing and reattaching treads. There may be screws for wood surfaces too.

This site is full of politics, YouTube searches are a better way to go.

Reply to
Dan Espen

If the back side of the stair is accessible driving in shims fixes the problem

Reply to
Clare Snyder