Crack repair in drywall

I think that it may be helpful if you could provide a wider angle photo of what is there now (as is) so people could get a sense of more of the flat ceiling and more of the cathedral ceiling -- to see how or where any of the load bearing walls are or were (before the wall removal).

If there is an accessible attic above the flat ceiling, maybe you could look in the attic and verify in which direction the ceiling joists (for the flat ceiling) run. In other words, do those ceiling joists above the flat ceiling run parallel to the back wall (where the window with blue curtains is); or perpendicular to the back wall (where the window with blue curtains is).

And, maybe, if possible, remove some of the plaster where the 3-4 foot major crack in the ceiling is located. Then take a photo or two of that. The main thing would be to try to see if there is plaster and wood lath under the ceiling crack; and maybe be able to see if there is some type of structural double header there or something else (such as a single ceiling joist running perpendicular to the back wall.

Reply to
TomR

Can't get to the pictures right now - which way does the cathesral cieling run? does it run up from the wall where the cracks are, or from the kitchen? If it runs up from the kitchen, what supports the ends of the rafters? If it runs up from the wall where the cracks are, what holds up the end of the flat kitchen cieling???

Makes me even MORE suspicious someone removed a bearing wall. If I were a betting man, it would be a pretty sure bet.

Reply to
clare

Your original question was about how to repair the crack. And, for the ceiling crack, there is no doubt that the first step in the process will have to be to break out and remove what is there now -- especially since part of that crack is hanging down below the plane of the ceiling. Even if you were to "look for a local professional", the first thing that he/she would need to do is take down some of that material to see what is underneath. And, frankly, if it were me, I wouldn't bother trying to find a "professional" just yet -- at least until after I had a chance to see what is underneath the crack (of course, by "underneath", I really mean "above" the crack).

So, I think a good first step -- since you will need to do it anyway -- would be to break out and remove some of the plaster or whatever it is where that 2-foot long ceiling crack is located, and take a couple of photos of that.

It is true that there may be a more serious underlying structural issue, but it also may turn out to not be as serious as all of that.

So, my vote is to start by breaking out and removing some of the plaster or whatever it is where that 2-foot long ceiling crack is located, and take a couple of photos of that and post them here.

Reply to
TomR

Okay here are additional pictures. In the outside pic you can see a patch in the siding where it looks like they moved the sliding glass doors about 2 feet. This is one of the reasons we think a wall was removed as part of a kitchen renovation (this had to be at least 10 plus yrs ago.)

I agree about excavating the area, I'll start opening it up next weekend and I'll post pics of the inside. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Reply to
strangways

Well, I feel good (for me, not for you) that the horizontal crack by the sliding glass door starts right at the top of the rough opening, as I suspected. I'll admit that I expected it to go straight over, not down some more and then over, but it ends up right where I expected it would.

This may mean that they did not correctly supported the structure when they moved the door. Seeing the position, condition and support for the header that should run across the entire top of the door would be interesting.

I'm assuming they moved the door to the right as you look at it from the inside. That might have left part of the header "cantilevered" to the left of the new opening. Maybe they didn't add enough support under that cantilever and it is now sagging. I say that because of your mention of the door being moved 2 feet. The vertical crack that starts at the ceiling seems to be about 2 feet from the door, right about where the original header would extend to. Then it runs horizontally, perhaps along the top of the header, then downward before it goes horizontal again perhaps along the bottom of the header. I'm visualizing a 2 foot section header in the area below the horizontal crack.

On the other hand, perhaps that wall is structurally fine and the wall cracks are just superficial stress cracks of the plaster itself. (it is plaster, not drywall, correct?)

In any case, good luck!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

99.% sure there was a bearing wall removed looking at those pictures. If you can confirm the direction of the cieling joists parallel to the wall that will clinch it 100%.

Call Mike Holmes!!!

Reply to
clare