Freezer has crack

I have a standard upright freezer, opened it and realized that the kids must of let one of their "blender creations" fall and smash to the bottom, where there was sticky mess of honey and raspberry.

In the fall, the blender must have struck the bottom at an angle, because now there is a 3/4" crack in the plastic at the bottom of the freezer. This isn't actually the freezer bottom, but part of the outside plastic that comes up and over the bottom of the freezer and overlaps maybe 4-6" inside the the freezer.

I'm thinking it probably does not require anything. But maybe I am wrong? If it does need patching, a glob of marine expoxy to basically seal it?

At least the marine epoxy heats up pretty good as it sets and I imagine anything else would have a hard time setting up, unless I turn off the freezer for a couple of days and I'd rather avoid that....

Reply to
timbirr

This is Turtle.

They have Gray Epoxie by J.B. Weld which cures in 15 minutes.

the only reason you would do anything about this thing is sealing to hold the air or cool air in.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

It can leak some air but it is not a major disaster. Problem is, most adhesives do not still well to that type of plastic. I'd try the epoxy since it is not a structural problem, just a matter of sealing it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi,

There is some plastic liner repair taps that work well, but they are not cheap. Covering it with some silicone or epoxy works well. We usually drill a small hole at each end of the crack so the crack can not keep on moving/cracking further.

patch kit.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks for the help, folks. Sounds like an epoxy fix is the way to go!

Reply to
timbirr

replying to TURTLE, Bill wrote: this does not work. my freezer still ices up

Reply to
Bill

Well after 14 years from the original post, Turtle is going to be sad his idea did not work.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You shoudn't freeze crack. It dries it out.

And definitely don't re-freeze it.

Reply to
micky

I thought that to and had to read the old post.

Reply to
invalid unparseable