Costco bananas don't seem to ever ripen (what's the trick)?

.....I don't know...but, I'm so old, I can't take the chance of buying green fruit.... ;-)

Reply to
Papa Pat

Ah, makes sense.

Since I have 4 bags of bananas, I'll do this: 1. Control (unopened plastic bag) 2. Apple with bananas (paper bag) 3. Banana with bananas (paper bag) 4. Apple with bananas (plastic bag)

Reply to
Francis C.

Costco clearly plastic bags them (DelMonte)

Francis C.

I look forward to the results!

Reply to
James Silverton

Bummer. I don't have any small paper bags. So, I just left them (since Sunday) in the plastic bags. Here's the result, Friday morning:

Francis C.

The ones on the left look most promising but even I, who don't like really ripe bananas, think they have a way to go. My ideal, naturally ripened, banana has a clear yellow skin with, at most, a few brown spots. Many people would not consider my favorites really ripe but I like them sweet with a slight sub-acid taste.

Reply to
James Silverton

I see them !!!!

I bought a big paper bag of half price yellow bananas last week, been eating them, and I think they are still good. I've bought green bananas that did not last that long. I now store my bananas away from that heater vent below the counter. I switched to the cool side of the kitchen.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Interestingly, look at the difference a day makes!

Here's the same set Friday evening:

Both apples came from the same batch, but one is really working those bananas, while the other must be working for the DMV.

Meanwhile, the control is still as green as my lawn, almost a week after buying them from Costco!

Reply to
Francis C.

Yes, now we have to figure out what was different about the apples.

Reply to
James Silverton

Sounds about right to me, I don't like any brown spots on my bananas, just yellow with a little green is about right for me.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

If the apples were waxed they won't release much ethylene.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

It's the normal amount I buy for the family. Normally I get 'em yellow at the supermarket.

In the past, the Costco bananas never ripened. I don't know why.

But, I'm learning.

Notice today, one week and one day later, just the ONE with one of the apples (unwaxed I presume) has ripened.

The rest are still green!

Reply to
Francis C.

The problem was that, at Costco, all they had was green, and greener. In the past, they NEVER ripened - which is why I asked (they 'must' be ripening for someone or they'd never be able to sell 'em).

Anyway, here are the four bags of bananas, which were bought two Sunday's ago, so it has been 10 days to date.

Notice only ONE bag ripened.

So, I took the liberty of adding a few more inducements to the bags (leaving the control alone).

I suspect the control will NEVER ripen, and I'll have to throw it away - but - I'll let the banana prove me right or wrong on its own.

Reply to
Francis C.

why not return it to Costco for a refund?

Reply to
Pico Rico

The point is to figure out HOW to get them to ripen.

Reply to
Francis C.

"Francis C." wrote in news:kjjqkj$dhr$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Me mum always put the green ones into paper bags.

Reply to
frag

Maybe you're not to supposed to leave them in the sealed plastic bag once taken home. Your control group seems to suggest that. The rest was interesting, with the apples and all.

Reply to
Cheryl

UPDATE: 2 weeks later

a. I bought 4 DelMonte banana plastic bags at Costco (Sunday 3/30) b. I put a ripe apple in two & a yellow banana in one. c. One of the apple banana bags ripened (and has subsequently been eaten) d. I added MORE APPLES to the one bag (including the magic apple) e. I removed the now-wholly-brown ripening banana (which had failed) f. Now it's exactly two weeks later

March 29th:

April 1st:

April 7th:

Francis C.

Well, the funny thing is that, in the past, I've unbagged the green Costco bananas, and they never ripened. I also left them bagged, and, they never ripened.

For a long while, I just stopped buying Costco bananas.

But then, I was at Costco on the last Sunday in March, and I figured I'd buy them, and ASK YOU GUYS.

I do realize the paper bag was the suggested method, along with the ripened fruits - but I had no paper bags, and not enough bananas to do all the experiments - so I opted for the simplest ... which was to put fruits in three of the four bags.

So far, I've learned that the yellow Dole banana did almost nothing to ripen the green DelMonte bananas; and I learned that a single apple was a risk because it appears to depend on the apple.

So I juggled the apples yesterday - and threw away the yellow Dole which had turned brown all over - and am currently just waiting to see if the multiple apples will work.

I will report back in a few days...

Reply to
Francis C.

Dear FC-

imo, your "juggling of the experimental conditions" as time progress is effectively muddling any results. :(

You might hit a "home run" and discover a ripening solution but at this point, I cannot say which of your experimental paths I would repeat to confirm a success.

That over ripe Dole may have been you best ripening agent. Based on the results so far, I'd give up on Costco bannanas :(

Reply to
DD_BobK