Cost of Re Roofing in Boston area very high

I'm getting a quote for puting on a new roof. I have a Cape style about 34'x24'. I want theold roof stripped because there are two layers on there already. My contractor says that it will be expensive because of removall of the old roof. I'm guessing that it will be $10,000. Is that about right? The roof is 30 years old and needs to be done. M

Reply to
mstrspy

I'm not sure if they go to Boston, but check out Weisman Roofing in Rhode Island. They did a big job for us last year and did an excellent job and were the cheapest around. They do a lot of big industrial stuff, but have a residential division also.

Edwin Pawlowski

i got that 10,000 similar bid on a house of ours in buffalo ny but it is 2-1/2 story. my friend got a $2500 roof on his cape cod but the guy doesn't do taller roofs than one story. buffalo requires a tearoff no more layering. my roofer monthly pays a fortune for insurance, he complains.

Reply to
buffalobill

Yes, that price is right on target in our area for 2500 sq ft of roof and for what you describe.

Reply to
TVeblen

New York State now requires that no more than two layers be on a roof; if a roof needs a third layer, the first two must be torn off, and the third roof installed on clean plywood. This is for fire safety reasons, among others. My 23-square roof cost about $11,000 total in

2003 for tearoff and reroof with ice and water shield and lots of flashing (several dormers, etc.; a complicated roof line) and a good 40-year architectural shingle.
Reply to
KLS

Okay, so I guess I will ap into my equity loan to get this done. Hopefully its a good selling point for my house if I descide to sell in 5 years from now.

Do home sellers usually recover the cost of a new roof? I know that kitchens and bathrooms usually have good pay back. Not sure about a new roof. M

Reply to
mstrspy

It protects the house. Payback is not having the house collapse or get mold from a leaky roof. One of those things that just has to be done sometimes. Doubt there will be much of an upcharge if you sell, but a poor roof will definitely be a markdown.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Replacement roofs, new paint, new carpeting- all fall under the class of work known as maintenance. These things will maintain the homes value. If you put a higher grade shingle on the roof you will be adding value because you've improved the house. But that added value is only the difference between the cost of "normal" shingles and the upgraded ones, not the labor or accessory products required for a new roof.

Reply to
TVeblen