Cast iron sewer pipe question

I'm trying to remove a clean out in an old cast iron sewer pipe. The plug is brass and it's in a cast iron fitting that is attached to the cast iron pipe with lead. I'm afraid the lead will come loose. If it does how can I put it back in?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Consider replacing the problem section with 4-inch PVC, connecting to the metal pipe with rubber clamps.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

The brass plug probably won't simply unscrew due to years of corrosion.

They are usually very thin metal. Drill a few holes to weaken the material, then use a very sharp cold chisel to split open. It won't take a lot to weaken it enough that you can pry it out.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

There's two ways: either pour molten lead in, or hammer lead-wool in with a special caulking iron. There's tarred cord hammered in in front of the lead, which is what forms the actual gasket. The lead is just to keep the oakum in place.

Reply to
Goedjn

Been there tried these things.

Your really better to cut out the area with a sawzall and use rubber ferncos to join the PVC with the old cast iron pipe.

Do note this area will conduct the sound of water going thru drain REALLY WELL

If noise matters you can use cast iron thats designed to be joined by rubber ferncos, it costs more but will be quiet.

if theres a lot of cast iron over head add some steel strapping to support the weight before cutting out the bad area, although it usually doesnt matter, but better safe than sorry

Reply to
hallerb

If you see the lead loosen....just get a tube of silicone caulk and have at it........

Reply to
cornytheclown

Thanks for all the replies. I removed the "J" pipe under the sink and was able to get the drain open. But my trusty hand snake brought out a lot of what looked like soil. I'm thinking the pipe is cracked somewhere close:(

Al

Reply to
Big Al