Cast Iron Sewer Pipe........

My home was built in 1917, and the waste water/sewer is the original. I have recently noticed some large rust nodules hanging from underneath the pipe. Some so bad, I am afraid to touch them for fear of putting my finger right through the pipe. Obviously, It should be replaced before the inevitable happens. I would like to tackle the job myself, but don't know much about codes. For instance: Can I replace with PVC of the same diameter? How do I transition from the cast iron to be left in place with the new PVC? And finally - is this going to be as nasty a job as I think it will be(speaking in terms of filth and stench not difficulty!)?

: Any ideas, info, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Wizbang

call a licensed plumber

Reply to
jim donovan

"Wizbang"

I'd go along with the idea of calling a plumber. If you're determinded, and if the pipe is in the open, then yes, you can use the same diameter PVC pipe as a replacement. There are adaptors that make the job easy. The tough part for the amateur is cutting the cast iron.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

I suppose the amateur worst-case scenario is attempting to cut the pipe, watching it crumble, and repeating the process until it disappears into a concrete wall with nothing left to attach to.

Reply to
Toolbert

or even worse getting crushed by pipe

determinded,

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Whats the best type of adaptor? PVC has a slightly larger diamator than cast.

Mike :)

Reply to
Michael

Fernco or equal:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

diamator than

determinded,

easy. The

Reply to
DanG

What other clamps are equal to a Fernco? Would using one of Fernco's Shear Ring Clamps further improve the strength of a Fernco 1056 clamp? A Proflex

3000-44 is listed for ABS to Cast. What do you think of those?

Mike :)

Reply to
Michael

"Michael"

Oh for crying out loud! Just go get a 4" Fernco and leave us alone.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

there all aliens

Reply to