If the batteries are NiCad's, the memory effect is NOT a myth. Ask anyone
who flies radio control aircraft and uses or used to use NiCad's.
I used to use NiCad batteries with my aircraft and regular "cycling" of the
batteries with a battery cycler extended the useful life of the batteries
and kept the capacity of the batteries to near new condition.
Unless there are protective circuits in the device being used, running a
battery down to zero is not a very good idea and could actually kill a
rechargeable battery very quickly.
Follow the instructions that came with your device regarding batteries. My
electric shaver has an auto shut down so that the battery doesn't go to zero
before charging and it is recommended to let the shaver discharge to auto
shutdown regularly before recharging.
The instructions given will depend upon the type of batteries you are using.
On Aug 4, 8:25 pm, email@example.com (David Combs) wrote:
Not really. It was a trick that was used on early NiCads but is
not recommended for any battery currently made that I know of. It
might not be bad IF you are discharging a single cell and not a
battery of cells, but frankly it is not worth much at best. Back in
the early days of Polaroid's with electronic flashes, I was able to
bring quite a few of them back to life for a short while (time
measured in weeks at best) so the owner might get through the birthday
party or whatever, but it always ended up with new batteries.
If you spend a lot of time talking on the cordless phone, this might
not be true, but otherwise, if you can get an old phone with an on/off
switch, you'll be better off.
On current phones the switch goes from standby to on, but the phone is
always in receive mode, running down the battery.
On old phones, when the switch was Off, the phone was off. No current
was used from the battery. It wouldn't ring, but you can still hear
one of the wired phones ringing, pick up the phone and turn it on to
Getting rid of the on-off switch strikes me as stupid. If new phones
use so much less battery power that they stay charged for 5 days
without the on-off switch, instead of one day some time ago, the new
phones would stay charged for 20 with an on/off switch.
If you read the fine print there's generally a way to power down the
phone, if you're talking cellular, rather than putting it in standby.
But I believe the discussion was of the kind of phone that has a
hard-wired base unit and a handset that can be used within a few
hundred feet of the base. The only people who are going to track you
with one of those would be your parents.
Like someone else in this thread mentioned Uniden (http://
www.uniden.com) . I've had nothing but good luck with them.
Planning on purchasing a new set of four. Separate chargers on all of
them, running from the same base unit.
Previously had Panasonic and General Electric. Both died an early
Those batteries probably only need reconditioning and are not dead. Too bad
they dont make the plain old AA batteries. Likely because they want you to
keep buying from the... Plenty of reconditioning devices for AA and AAA
batteries, I dont know any for phone batteries though.
Most newer phones should not have too much of a problem. Anyway, why are
you trying to get batteries to last 4 days? Is there no charger around? I
would change my brand of phone. My panasonic I have had for about 5 years
and the batteries will last at least 4 hours. i dont talk that much
I had nicad batteries in my cordless phone that lasted for many years. I
leave them on the charger all the time. One cordless phone I put away
for a few years while I had cell only. Took it out of storage, plugged
it in and back in business again, batteries at least 7 years old. It's
back in storage again, I'm back to cell only again. I can no longer have
a phone that I can't take with me everywhere I go.
I wish I could do that. However, the cellular reception is real bad
here. About .3 of the time, there's no signal. The rest of the time,
calls are full of dropouts. The situation outside is only SLIGHTLY
BTW, this is in town and the signal is very good miss than a mile
north, and less than a mile south of here (business areas).
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.