Coppering

My favorite pot for small dishes, boiling water, etc, suddenly began to turn out disgusting food. I realized that some of the copper plate inside had come off. How much per job or per square inch or per diameter (pot is about 7" high and across, only needs a good thinck coat inside) do they charge where you live? In the South, to be precise in New Orleans or Metairie? zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

It would be cheaper to buy a new solid copper pan then getting it replated. When I use to work in a plating shop, minimum order was $35. This was 20 years ago. You could also do it yourself. This site has all the stuff you need to electroplate at home.

SLQ

Read the first reply which is spot-on. Exposing your food to a copper pan is a bad idea. People go to great and sometimes expensive lengths to have solid copper pans tinned to prevent food from coming in contact with the copper. In fact about the only use I've seen in a kitchen where food is knowingly exposed to copper is in special copper bowls which some cooks (mostly French) beat eggwhites.

Reply to
John McGaw

This is Turtle.

You got me on this one for Copper is suppose to be in a humans diet as one a day and other vitamin has copper in them for the human body to be health. I'll have to check this out here on the site you posted.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

a day and other vitamin has copper in them for the human

Oh yes, copper is part the nutritional scheme of things as are chromium and selenium but only in the most miniscule amounts. But if you cook some food that is even slightly acidic in a pan with exposed copper then it will dissolve massive amounts of the mineral from the surface and give a nasty tasting (and possibly borderline toxic) result. Not good eats. The good news is that copper cookware is still common, especially in Europe, and the proper handling and treatment for it is well known to the extent that any decent sized city will probably have someone who re-tins copper pans. If not there are supposed to be some mail-in services. Me, I can't afford copper pans so I don't have to worry about it.

Reply to
John McGaw