Diagnosing a Sodium Vapor Fixture Problem

A new lamp produces no results, The ballast looks good and has apparently not overheated. It is not open-circuited either. There are two remaining components: The starter and what looks to be a capacitor. I would strongly suspect the starter, but can someone suggest a way to test the starter before purchasing a new one? (They are about $40 for this Hubbell 3V805A. Thanks for your help! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

In a very similar situation, I decided to take the obtuse approach first and see if there was some remote chance that the new lamp I purchased was faulty.

I exchanged it for another brand new lamp and it's been working fine ever since.

This was a 70-watt (I th> A new lamp produces no results, The ballast looks good

Reply to
Robert Barr

I know it is very important to map the exact lamp to the fixture. I am going to double check this. On the other hand, I would think faulty lamps would be rare.

Reply to
frank1492

There are testers for this purpose. But they will run you at least 40 bucks. Have you measured the voltage for the output of the transformer? If not you need to check this first. When I was re lamping a lot, 15 years ago. I remember that there was 2 lamps to each transformer, and usually the starter was replaced each time.

Reply to
SQLit

I suppose the starter should be tried first. I noted that the lamp sometimes tries to ignite but the discharge only occurs for a second or so. The capacitor seems to buzz as power is applied to the circuit. Is this a capacitor?

Reply to
frank1492