copper fittings for use with a pressure gage

Hello, I am looking for a fitting that will allow be to have a pressure gauge near the inlet of my city water so I can always see what my pressure is. I live on a hill near the water tank and our home pressure runs about 40 psi most times. I would need a tee fitting that I could cut into the 3/4" copper piping to allow the water through with a port for the pressure gauge I have [Merrill PG100 with a 1/4" male thread] Does such a beast exist or am I going to have to build something up with brass fittings?

| | |----gauge Merrill PG100 with a 1/4" male thread | | ^ | water direction

Thanks! ayb

Reply to
allyour80211b

Hard to tell what is available in your area, but you should be able to find a 3/4" sweat tee, with a female thread that you can bush down to the gauge. If nothing else a 3/4" tee, with a female NPT adapter soldered to it. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Home Depot has a guage that connects to a regular hose fitting. You could tee it off the washing machine using a hose splitter

Reply to
gfretwell

I just stick mine on the drain of the water heater.

Reply to
Toller

A common gage will have 1/8 or 1/4 NPT male threads. You can step a 3/4 tee down to those.

Gages are pretty unreliable, especially when under pressure all the time.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

???? A device designed specifically for the purpose is unreliable??? I think the manufacturers would be somewhat surprised to hear that.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Absolutely. This is the nature of the Bourdon tube mechanism.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Many other ways of building them...

Ones one the system here last for several years at least and then it's rarely the gauge itself that fails, it's accumulated rust/sediment.

Units work in power plants for years as well...but, of course, they're industrial units.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

All of the above are typical except perhaps reading high.

The least bit of corrosion from a wet or condensing environment will spoil the little gears and bearings.

If you ever have a bad one to throw out, tear it apart and have a look. Looks like the proverbial ladies watch.

Here's a pretty good explanation and diagram:

Richard J Kinch

Can you quantify "unreliable'? Will they stick in one spot,? Not go up? Not come down? Read high? Read low? All of the above?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski