Anyone have a DW680 planer?

It is possible to get a sharper edge on steel than on carbide. A properly sharpened steel blade will give better results than a properly sharpened carbide blade. But that is for "properly sharpened". A steel blade is less likely to be properly sharpened over time.

Also, people over in rec.woodworking can give you much more info.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I just bought a DW680 planer. It works pretty well; certainly better than my KMart (yes it actually says that on the label) 2".

But the directions for changing the blades seem to be for a completely different machine. There is a large and small allen wrench, but the small one doesn't fit anything. There is an extrusion that might be a guide, but it doesn't fit anywhere and doesn't look like the guide in the illustration.

I contacted Dewalt, but their reply was "The allen wrench it came with is to loosen the clamp that holds the blade so you can change the blades ." I guess they don't know either.

And... they make carbide and steel blades for it; the steel are more expensive. Why would I want steel? Because I can sharpen them?

Reply to
Toller

Carbide is tougher, lasts longer, can be resharpened. Steel blades are disposable, but some people have has some success honing them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

But the steel is actually more expensive and more difficult to install!

Reply to
Toller