Controlling Temperature in a Weber Propae Grill

We've owned a Weber Genesis II grill for the past 7 years. This model has 3 regular burners, a sear burner, and a side burner.
Within the past couple of months, using two different propane cylinders, the temperature rises to 700?F, regardless of the burner individual control settings. I have checked the termometer mounted on the hood as well as with a remote termometer, and there's no difference between the temperature readings. Slower cooking has become impossible, so I can only quickly grill steaks, chops, or burgers. Ribs or roasts are out of the questions.
I don't know enough about gas grill s to know what to adjust or replace, but I do need to control temperature. All of the burners, including the orifices, have been cleaned but that made no difference.
I'm wondering if the grill needs a new regulator or some other part that has become defective.
I would appreciate any legitimate answers or solutions that anyone can offer.
This has become a real problem for me, so no snide remarks please!
TIA

On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 2:37:06 PM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

What does the flame do when you turn the control valve? It should go from big full flame, gradually down to very small flame. If they flames are way too big and not responding to the control valves of which there must be several, then I guess the pressure regulator is the prime suspect. I converted mine to nat gas, no more bottles to lug around.

  Did this start when the weather got really hot ? If so it might be the regulator . My Walmart cheapie has that same problem though not as bad as yours sounds .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Wayne, I am not being a smartass here but try calling Weber. They sent me free springs to wrap the hoses with when the squirrels chewed on them.
--
Tekkie

Is that 700? with just one burner or with all 3? If one, replace regulator, if all, turn off 1 or 2 and cook indirect.
On Thu 05 Jul 2018 09:38:27p, ChairMan told us...

I haven't tried turning burners off because I don't like grilling with indirect heat. It doesn't provide consistency across the entire grill surface. I have, however, turned the 3 main burners down to their lowest setting. Simply adjusting or turning off selected burtners is not a solution to the problem.

On 7/6/2018 4:56 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Indirect heat is just an oven. OK for some things, but not grilling.
Sounds like the regulator. They are not difficult to replace, but you do have to get down on the ground to reach under the grill to get to it.
On Fri 06 Jul 2018 05:35:11a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Indeed so. I've never understood why people are so confused about the diffrences between cooking over indirect and grilling. The concept is pretty simple.

Thanks, Ed. That was my guess, and your usual sensible and logical thought pretty much confirmed it in my mind. Home Depot carries Weber parts including their specific regulator. I will pick one up in the next day or so.