control boards in modern appliances

in the last 3 years i bought a GE refrigerator, a Jenn Air oven and a whirlpool dishwasher.

within 2 years, ALL of them blew out their control boards. anyone have any idea what's up with all this? who the hell needs control boards in refrigerators or dishwashers or ovens? this is ridiculous and seems to be an effort by companies to create repair business.

Reply to
bpuharic

I bet you had a big surge or a nearby lightning strike, or you presently dont get clean power. I had lightning nearby blow out over

10,000$ worth of stuff, since then I installed a main panel lightning arrestor and surge protector , individual surge protectors and upgraded ground. Start by checking you have 120 or so then look into protection. Is your area hit by lightning often.
Reply to
ransley

I bet you had a big surge or a nearby lightning strike, or you presently dont get clean power. I had lightning nearby blow out over

10,000$ worth of stuff, since then I installed a main panel lightning arrestor and surge protector , individual surge protectors and upgraded ground. Start by checking you have 120 or so then look into protection. Is your area hit by lightning often. *I would also check the grounding electrode system. Check the ground rod connections. If it is an old house, install new ground rods. Check the water pipe connection. Make sure the ground connections are tight in the main panel.
Reply to
John Grabowski

It does seem like you have bad luck with these. I'd suspect power issues though most of them have switching power supplies these days and can take a lot of abuse. I think you can get ovens and fridges that are still mechanical but I'm not so sure about dishwashers. They will be the "cheap" models though.

Control boards replacing mechnical controls statistically is more reliable. Any time you replace moving parts with electronic ones the outcome is generally better. It also allows for more features that would not have been possible otherwise. It is also cheaper to produce. Don't expect it to change.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

It smartens everything up, you can better "mileage" out of your electricity. The cycling has gotten sophisticated, not sure what the advantage would be for an oven but it is substantial for devices with compressors in them.

That, I think is excellent advise.

I think it's time to redo my grounding (on the cold water line). Grounding wasn't so important in '29!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I've heard many complaints about electronics in newer appliances. Seems like the more "features" added, the lower the reliability. Ranges are the worst, probably due to the heat. When we bought a new gas range, one of the requirements was no electronics. We bought a Bertazzoni range. All mechanical and works well.

Given the fact that you blew out three boards in two years, I'd check the incoming voltage and add surge suppressors on the line incase of spikes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Although you always want the cold water line BONDED to the grounding system, it should never be THE ground. In fact, it does not meet code for that use. For that you need a properly installed grounding rod at the service entrance.

Reply to
salty

So, why do you keep buying appliances WITH control boards? I'm sure someone still makes 'em without.

nb

Reply to
notbob

notbob wrote: ...

If you can find one, it would be interesting where it might be and who is producing it (and what its features/cost are/is)...

--

Reply to
dpb

The purpose of attaching the electrical ground to a water pipe is not to ground the electrical system, it's to ground the plumbing system.

Reply to
HeyBub

Good point. A whole-house surge protector is in the neighborhood of $50-60 and is trivial to install in the circuit-breaker box.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's what I said.

Reply to
salty

You can't tell me there aren't more.

You have to decide what you really want. You want digital clocks and digital temp readouts and all that crap, you can't avoid control boards. Myself, I can do without a clock on my stove jes fine cuz I got one on the wall. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I believe he said that for my benefit, not to correct you.

I'll pick up some ground rods and rewire. I've only ever had modems blow... not power. Still...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Molly Brown

Reminds me of the store that put up a big sign. Before I got my digicam, or I'd have taken a picture.

They had moved all the shopping carts outside, the sign said "to serve you better" to take cart before going into the store.

Supposedly the electronics makest the devices more responsive to your needs and wishes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Electronics many generations ago were required to withstand 600 volts transients without damage. Your damage is the 'canary in the coalmine'. Nobody should have such transients. And such transients are routinely averted when protector is earthed where wires enter the building.

Well you had numerous small (but destructive) transients. What will happen when the big one comes? Serious surges occur typically once every seven years. Your 'dead' canary is reporting insufficient protection. Others have said how easily protection is installed - at about $1 per protected appliance. All appliances contain serious protection. Due to insufficient protection at the service entrance, you have transients that have overwhelmed that existing protection. Listen to the dead canary.

Reply to
westom

Ah, I see. I didn't mean to correct you - you didn't need correcting - I was just pointing out that the purpose of connecting a wire to the plumbing system is to prevent someone from getting shocked by touching a pipe, not to prevent a shock from touching a toaster.

Reply to
HeyBub

Listen to the dead canary?

Reply to
HeyBub

You just answered your own question. Repair men need control boards in such devices.

Reply to
cjt