Connecting components

How do I hook-up an RCA DVD player (Model RC5240PB) and a Sony VCR player (Model SLBN50) to a SONY Bravia HDTV (Model KDL-32EX400)? (The HDTV is TV2 for a Dish VIP-622 DVR).

Reply to
gary

The DVD is easy, just use an HDMI cable to one of the inputs. Do you want to use the VCR just to play old tapes? If so, I think you can hook it into the OTA antenna connection and choose that as your input when you want to watch.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm over 40, I can't help. You need to ask a boy between the ages of 8 and

  1. This is way out of my generation's abilities.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If the DVD player has HDMI, then use that to go to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV.

For the VCR, it depends. First choice would be S-VHS if it and the TV have that. Next would be composite video. With either of those you'll also have to connect sound between the VCR and TV. Last choice would be RF out on VCR, to TV antenna in.

Good choice on the Bravia, BTW. I have two of them and I think the pic quality is the best out there.

Reply to
trader4

My Mother had a 30-year-old console TV. Since liked the cabinet so much that, instead of trashing it, I gutted the innards and she put ginger jars in the opening.

About 2 years ago, she bought the Bravia. Instead of mounting it on the wall or on a stand, she wanted it installed in the old cabinet. so I attached two L-brackets to the mounting holes on the back of the TV and to the bottom of the cabinet. The 32" Bravia fit the opening exactly.

Reply to
gary

In order of preference, best to worst

- HDMI (or DVI for video and S/PDIF for audio, equivalent quality)

- Component video (the three separate RCA cables) or S-video, plus two RCA cables for audio (note: will not be surround sound, only 2- channel)

- Composite video plus two channel audio (three RCA cables only, does not support higher than SD resolution)

- RF modulator, or RF output from VCR (absolute lowest quality connection, avoid if at all possible)

Monoprice has good prices on cables, if you find you need some - it's worth waiting a week to not have to pay big box store prices for inferior cables. "pretty good" quality. Better than anything at the local big box but dirt cheap, if you are a perfectionist you still might find something to dislike (connectors too tight/loose, etc.) If you fall into the perfectionist camp check out Blue Jeans Cable - still less expensive than most of the "audiophile" cables with a no- nonsense spec-based approach to cable design; I haven't used them but based on the literature and reviews they might be the best out there but only slightly higher in price than the garbage at the big boxes.

HTH

nate

Reply to
N8N

Sounds like a kid who makes his uncle proud?

.

In 1987, I flew from Los Angeles to Australia and New Zealand on a 7- week vacation.

I thought I should buy a watch because I had flight connections and other appointments to keep. As I drove to LAX, I handed my new digital watch back to my 8 y..o. nephew in the back seat. Within 3 minutes, he had it set and all programmed! (Upon my return from Australia, I didn't use that watch again.

Last September, I bought a analog watch -- I prefer a watch with hands rather than the time being displayed -- but the instruction manual covered a variety of watch models (not just the one I bought) so it took me seemingly hours to figure out how to set my watch.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Another alternative worth comparison shopping for economical cables and connectors is meritline.com

Reply to
Peter