Concrete Steps

Why not some duct tape too?

I'd cut my losses and kick the clowntractor to the curb. In my opinion, he's too fusking stupid to do the job properly.

Reply to
Brent

+1

And I also had addressed it earlier:

"IMO, any attempted repair isn't going to last"

You do repairs on old concrete, no reason you should have to do that kind of repair on a brand new pour because it was done incompetently. Aside from that it won't last, how is he going to make it invisible?

Reply to
trader_4

c1gmlm posted for all of us...

admitted that it was probably his fault because of removing the outside form too soon pulling the cement from the internal form. He also suggested maybe putting in big bolts. His last comment was that he would split the cost to redo the steps completely ( my half would be $800). When I balked at that he said a court of law would not back me because all concrete cracks. Not sure how to attach photo.

Have him redo them at his expense. He admitted fault. Any "fix" would detract from the look.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Brent posted for all of us...

If you are talking about the inspection done by the AHJ then no it is not. The inspections are done so the contractor conforms to the AHJ. These are minimums. Handrails?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Don't forget about the part where they generate income from fees and higher taxes.

I paid for a permit for my roof and for a she. No one evert stopped to look at them but they did cash the checks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

The inspectors know the players, remember they are only enforcing the rules of the AHJ. Not workmanship unless it's in the rules. If you want workmanship inspected then hire one; or we may as well send the cops around to snoop on everything.

I know the tax song and dance but you can fight it if you desire. I don't think they really reassess the property it's just the of gov't to raise taxes to cover their spending-good or bad.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Drilling into the steps from the side and grouting or epoxying in re-bar ties MAY fix the problem in the short term, but does not address the cause of the very pre-mature failure of the concrete cast. I would insist on it being redone properly - and this time WITH a permit and inspection.

A lot of you guys bitch and complain about "government interference" and a "cash grab" when it comes to permits and inspections - but here is a case where a permit and inspection could well be the difference between this cracked step and a perfect job - - - I hate paying for permits as much as the next guy - but just saying -

- - - .

Reply to
clare

e edge of all the steps. It follows internal wooden form that was used form the outside wall. The contractor has suggested that they drill horizontal holes through the side and fill it with a piece of re bar and epoxy. Then fill the crack with a very thin epoxy to prevent water from freezing in it and making it worst. I would be find with this if it would work. He also ad mitted that it was probably his fault because of removing the outside form too soon pulling the cement from the internal form. He also suggested maybe putting in big bolts. His last comment was that he would split the cost to redo the steps completely ( my half would be $800). When I balked at that he said a court of law would not back me because all concrete cracks. Not s ure how to attach photo.

with bolts or rebar and epoxy

Why? The contractor claims it was because he took the form away too soon. Was the inspector going to stand there with a clock to prevent the contractor from removing the form too soon?

Reply to
trader_4
-

Maybe...but if I had to bet, my money says the lazy/stupid/alcoholic contractor didn't dig the footing down to undisturbed soil. The construction business is infected with lazy stupid drunks.

And FWIW, if you do find a skilled reliable tradesman, pay them well because they are worth every penny.

Reply to
anonymous

And FWIW, if you do find a skilled reliable tradesman, pay them well because they are worth every penny.

Not only pay them well, but let other folks know how good they are so they get lots of new business. Personal recommendations are hard to come by.

Reply to
hrhofmann