Compressed air system - where to put what?

I'm about to install a compressed air distribution system in my basement and have a question about where to place the filter and the shut-off. I tried to diagram my plan in the ASCII drawing below. Tell me if I have this right.

- should the filter be placed before or after the drip loop?

- since the run to the compressor from the loop will be very short, I plan to use the quick disconnect and the shut-off valve to isolate the drip loop and filter section so I can drain and/or replace the filter. Do I have that right?

- can one of those paper media filters be placed in a vertical section of the piping as opposed to horizontal? ie. Can I place it in the spot marked XX?

TIA,

HK

load ^ | |XX | | compressor shut-off|

Reply to
HK

I should've figured the drawing would get messed up when I uploaded it. Here's another attempt:

Anything wrong with this design?

load ^ | |XX | | compressor shutoff |

Reply to
skategoat25

Filter goes at the final outlet, just before the regulator (and oiler, if needed).

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Looks like there's no way to service the filter without depressurizing the system. Back in 1972 I put together a shop system that is still in daily commercial operation rigged as follows: First on line the compressor. Tank output direct to quarter turn shutoff. Next to shutoff, drip leg with draincock. Thence black iron pipe to shop locations where drip legs and draincocks precede the moisture filters, tool oilers, regulators, whatever. The supply pipe was mounted about 7' above the floor level. and service drops were fiited with two quick connect couplers in tandem (like a duplex socket) with drip legs and draincocks, of course. Once every couple of weeks each draincock is vented. This bunch of plumbing has worked flawlessly for me for years. One more little item, don't forget you compressor has an air filter. Check it every year or so and change your compressor oil, too. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Maybe, what are you using the air for? It this a home shop system or commercial use?

If you have a system that must run all the time, you would have a by-pass at the filter so it can be isolated and service while the operation continues to run. IN any case, put a valve before the filter so you can shut the system down and maintain air in the compressor tank. Downstream leaks will happen over time.

You show the compressor. Is this an integrated unit with a tank? If not, you want a receiving tank at the compressor, and a second one at the point of use if youhave a high use machine or tool.

If this is your home shop or small garage, it looks OK. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski