Complete 3D House in 5 days?

I was wondering about the wiring.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Interesting. I wonder how practical it is and how much time was added for plumbing, foundation, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That is cool. I think the Baltimore Public Library has 3D printers one can use.

Reply to
micky

It looks better than the igloos people constructed with urethane foam in the '70s that were going to be the future:

They looked like a malignant fungus on their best days.

I volunteered on a project to build a house out of homasote for a low income family. A priest had put the project together with funding by the Albany diocese. He'd built a church out of homasote previously.

It looked pretty good. It was framed with redwood, with Bernie (the priest) realizing after that fact that redwood wasn't ecologically friendly.

Berine also wanted to use leftover homasote for the basement forms. I told him it wouldn't work. The cement truck driver told him it wouldn't work. I guess God told him it would work so he said "Pour!'. After the forms collapsed we tried to smooth out the mud for a floor but that didn't go well and resulted in several volunteers spending quality time with a concrete grinder.

The next day I was down at the lumber yard buying CDX plywood and form ties.

I wonder if it was still standing?

Reply to
rbowman

Looks as if it has at least as much area devoted to windows as my house. Every opening in a house is an opportunity for cold air to infiltrate.

I'll admit, you'd have to like brutalist architecture to like the appearance.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Like it or not, these are the future. Add some roll up security doors and it will be highly resistant to BLM's fire department.

Remember, the democrats want to delete the 2nd, confiscate your guns, defund the police and release thousands of criminals into your life.

You got voter's remorse yet?

Reply to
Larry

It sometimes gets down to -21 C here in the winter. 13 patio doors would be impractical.

The picture on this page is not my house, but it reflects pretty well the amount of area devoted to windows:

Similar percentage on each side.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

No, Larry, I don't. I wish Biden would let immigrants in faster.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Looks like just another prefab method to me. I see printer just making walls and it is not like they did the work at the home site.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Your picture reminded me of house size changes over the years. A chart here:

I guess the decrease in size after WWII was due to a housing shortage.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Well, I'm below average. Went from 2100 for the past 40 years down to

1583. I could be comfortable with less.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

1235 sq ft on 2 stories. plus basement and single garage on 1/3 acre corner lot..
Reply to
Clare Snyder

Little boxes... White flight from the cities, loan guarantees for servicemen, and pent up spending from WWII all played a part.

New home construction here is skewed. There are McMansions on 5 or more acres, many funded by selling out on the California market and fleeing. Then there are the Levittowns. The houses in the latter are probably bigger that the original but the construction density may be greater.

Personally I can't imagine living in some of the McMansions. As far as I can tell the family sizes are limited so it's 2 or 3 people rattling around in 3000+ square feet.

Reply to
rbowman

The three houses I've owned have all been close to average for the time they were built (1947, 1954, 1948). But we didn't raise a family in them, so a lot more space per capita.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

On Sat, 1 May 2021 17:16:49 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman posted for all of us to digest...

What size is the printer? I don't particularly like the design but that's not me. Wonder about the utilities and how they are run. Concrete buildings have always been cold, hard, damp structures. Wonder about the cost and utility costs compared to conventional construction. According to the article the country needs all the housing. Babies, immigrants, what?

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sat, 1 May 2021 21:10:48 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Haaa, good analogy.

Homasote house? O man that stuff was crap. I had a hard time building a model railroad platform with that stuff...

You have any reference to a Homasote house? What did they use it for; wallboard, floors? IIRC Homasote has a very poor fire rating.

Reply to
Tekkie©

1,456 here after additions done. Was a bit over 900 initally.
Reply to
cshenk

Immigrants. White folks aren't holding up their end of the stick. The US as we knew it will go out with a whimper.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm coming up dry. The house was in the colorful part of Albany NY. I can't remember if it was on Livingston Ave or one of the parallel streets. From a quick look at Wiki it's still about 90% colorful.

I'm not even finding the product I remember. iirc they were in the neighborhood of 2" thick, tongue and groove, with a white surface, supposedly weather proof. I'd call the construction sort of post and beam with large frames that were set with a crane. The homasote or whatever it was, was used horizontally on the exterior like clapboard siding.

The beams were exposed, that being where the not so eco-friendly redwood came it. The floors were hardwood.

I don't know how Bernie the Priest sold the idea to the diocese. Most of the people involved were from a sort of hippie commune. I visited it a couple of times but preferred my apartment.

It was a fun summertime project while I was gainfully unemployed. Life was good until I went home one night to find a note from the chief engineer of a company I had worked for saying that another company that we had done a joint project with was looking for me. It was a hard choice, being summer and still having some weeks of unemployment left but duty called. I moved to Springfield and lost track. Later another guy who had worked on the project came to visit, The diocese had gotten tired of amateur hour and brought in a real contractor to finish it. It looked good enough that someone with an in at the diocese got it rather than some random low income family.

That's how it usually goes. I dated a lawyer who was involved with a project to collect bicycles for third world countries. She admitted that they high graded the donations and any really nice bike didn't have a snowball's chance of getting shipped to a shithole. I ghosted, having learned all I needed to know about liberal lawyers.

Reply to
rbowman