Compact GFI outlets?

My 1932 house has narrow outlet boxes (about 1.75" inside width). I want to replace some 2-pronged outlets with GFI outlets, but the ones I've seen are too wide.

Does anybody make a compact GFI for this purpose?

Thanks

Reply to
Pete Fraser

Install a GFI breaker on the circuit(s).

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Is it original wiring? (K&T?)

Only reason I ask is if it is K&T, I'm wondering how well a GFI would deal with the neutral, seing as how one neutral typically served many loads. Maybe wouldn't make a difference. Tom Horne, where are you?

Your options are as Travis listed (unless again, it's original wiring, and you have a fusebox and therefore no breaker to replace); or to cut out some plaster and install a larger box.

I think we need to know more about what state your wiring is in before any other options can be offered.

Reply to
Matt

Yes

I thought a GFI just measured the difference between the line and neutral currents?

I was hoping I wouldn't have to cut the (lath and) plaster.

Old and funky (k+t).

Thanks

Reply to
Pete Fraser

No. They're metal boxes with an inside size of about

1.75 W x 2.875 H.
Reply to
Pete Fraser

With all that you've said, you probably have a balloon frame house as well, so I think I'd just run new lines to the bathrooms and install new outlets

Reply to
RBM

Ron posted for all of us....

Why not? What are you, a troll?