Cold caulk

That is another one in my long line of crusades. If people are warned about everything, they'll feel nothing is safe, which of course is and isn't true, but the over-riding point is that it makes people's perceived quality of life go down and with no appreciable benefit.

A girlfriend had her sister and BIL the cop remonstrating with her to change her voicemail so it wouldn't be a woman's voice who lives alone. WTF? Yeah, the bad guys are just calling around at random to see if her _answering_ machine picks up. What happens if she picks up? Does that mean she lives with someone? Idiots giving advice based on some bullshit and scaring people for no reason. I told her to have the cop call me and I'd point out in three or four sentences why on this particular topic he has no fookin' clue what he's talking about.

Another one - "Don't talk to strangers!" If some kid comes up to me and needs help, they're getting it. And not the run of the mill I'll point you in the right direction kind of help, but the sorry gotta go I'm seeing this kid safely home help. Most people would be like that. Your average stranger is a good person, and scaring kids into thinking that all strangers are dangerous is one of the most stupid things I can think of. It messes up the kids, messes up the future and messes up everybody's life for a long time.

Of course the odds of the caulk being ruined are not knowable, but a hard freeze definitely 'damaged' the caulk to some degree. It's one of those I'll take the hit for the peace of mind things. A few bucks, and you know you did the right thing. You'll sleep better, and, after all it is latex caulk and using it in a non-critical application would probably be just fine. It's when people make choices for the other guy that they really have no business making that things get sticky ethically.

So sleep well tonight. ;)

RicodJour

sadly, I'd probably do the same, but would think twice and be somewhat concerned about it. Just as easily you could be accused of all sorts of bad stuff by a kid and/or over-protective parents.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel