Cold bedroom over garage

The damp feeling is probably because of the cooler temp. WHen you lower the temp you raise the relative humidity. I would cut some test holes in the garage ceiling to see how well it is insulated. If you insulate put the paper side up just like in a crawl space. I'm not sure I'd do a vapor barrier given that you have wall board on the outside but others may have different opinions. You might also see if you can add another vent run from your heater. If you have a unit in the attic it is pretty easy to add a 6" flex line and vent.

Reply to
Lawrence James

Just a couple of notes. I hope your builder did insulate. It sounds more likely that there is insulation, but he did not do his job with the heating system and under estimated the load on the bedroom. I think you will find the fix there.

If you find you do not have insulation in the floor, the vapor barrier goes toward the bedroom (heated space) and remember that the finished ceiling is not just for looks, it is there as a fire barrier and you must be sure to replace it and seal it and use fire rated drywall (generally 5/8" is called for I believe)

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hello all, My bedroom is over an unheated garage. The room is always cool and it seems to be very damp. Any suggestions?..the garage roof is finished but dont know it there is any insulation within. If I was to insulate the garage ceiling, do I need to put a vapour barrier in and where? Thank you everyone, Brent

Reply to
Brother Bones