Coaxial cable and phone wire installation

Avoid series runs for POTS, its way harder to troubleshoot when you have a problem, homeruns are the way to go!

Consider satellite for TV with its DVR digital video recorder service,

Elminates having to watch commercials ! it changes how you watch TV forever

Reply to
hallerb
1959. The wires are copper with plastic insulation. Only 2 wires go to each outlet.

"RBM" wrote in news:RU9ng.12$ snipped-for-privacy@fe08.lga:

Reply to
crabshell
[snip]

Which is probably an amplifier connected to a 1:4 or 1:8 splitter in the same package. This splitter will be a splitter like any other.

don't use a splitter, use a splitter instead :-)

You may not need an amplifier for the cable modem itself (the modem may even work better without one). Use a splitter on the incoming cable. Then the amplifier will be used only for cable.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

"Colbyt" wrote in news:R9qdnTUMW4DpqADZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

The labor issue is a big concern. I was sort of assuming the variable expense would be in the materials more than the labor. I assume that running 2 lines from point A to point B vs. 1 costs about the same. Meaning I need to plan this well so I don't have to have more lines run down the road -- thus my inquiries.

Reply to
crabshell
[snip]

In that case, you will need a big splitter at that single location. Splitters divide the signal so you get a weaker signal at each location. It may be too low, requiring an amplifier ahead of the splitter (better than amplifying each output separately). A 4 or 8 output amp is just an amp and a splitter in the same package.

Connect a cable modem before the amp.

Best to have your cable modem and router at this central location, and use CAT5 for distribution. It can be run alongside the cable to each room.

You mentioned wireless. A wired network will be simpler, faster, more secure, easier to set up (referring to computer configuration), and more reliable. When you're installing cable it would be a good time to put in network cables too.

No, because the CAT5 cables will all be run to one point. It's a good idea to put the network hub (along with modem and router) at the same location as the cable distribution point. Use that for telephone too.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

YES! And there's a lot to that besides commercials (although it IS nice to be able to skip over some of the more offensive ones).

BTW, I've had a DVR for about 7 years and often don't know the time what I'm watching is on, or what channel.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Forgot to say that this was also a Verizon guy. He really seemed bothered that they didn't do a good job in Dallas.

The Dallas guy suggested calling someone else to install it, at my brother's cost.

Reply to
mm

Late 50's was a dark era for home wiring

Reply to
RBM

Reply to
Bennett Price

with our Dish DVR it doesnt matter when the show is on, or what time it gets moved too. the receiver automatically looks for the name and adjusts itself.

shows magically appear on a list of available ones.

A hour of prime time shows is 15 minutes of commercials which we skip. while a interesting scene or dirsurbance we can skip back and watch it again. dogs barrked, phone rang neigbor stopped by.

DVR is THE BEST device we ever added here!

Reply to
hallerb

You must be watching old shows...

We have a DVR that I built which can remove commercials. It is not unusual to see some hour programs reduced to 35 minutes.

Reply to
George

Why can't you DIY? There are no licensing requirements since it all very low voltage stuff.

I would be happy to explain the process. Tool needs are minimal.

I suspect you are going to have a real case of sticker shock when you get a labor price. Nobody likes working in crawlspaces and most don't like snaking wire inside walls.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Or even what channel it's on, if set up properly on a DVR that supports it. I don't know about Dish, but ReplayTV calls that feature "theme channels" and TiVo calls it "wishlists".

Yes. Automatic channel selection on the receiver, is a necessary part of what a DVR does.

I wouldn't use the word "magically"*, but yes.

Approximately, on most channels. A PBS show is closer to 55 minutes per hour.

Also, TV shows and movies often involve things (signs, maps,...) you could read if you got to look at them long enough. You can actually read the wordy introductions to some movies.

BTW, I actually wished for something that would do that, for years before DVRs existed.

Yes. I've had one since 1999 and would NOT want to have to live without one. About the only time I watch TV without a DVR now is when I'm on the phone (or in a chat room) where people are discussing the show in real time.

&&&

  • - many times, "magic" (NOT referring to stage magic but the "real" thing), and it's synonym "supernatural" are often used as excuses rather than explanations. The words have little or no meaning otherwise.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Depends on where you are. In CT one needs any of several classes of electrician's license (which require 2000 hours of supervised, documented work experience to get) or to be employed by a recognized telephone or cable company to install low-voltage cabling. This does not apply to homeowners working on their own residences.

Reply to
J. Clarke

We start watching some shows like survivor 15 minutes after they begin. This enables us to FF thru commercials and be caught up to live at end of show.

Cant do that with a VCR

People without DVRs dont know what they are missing!

Reply to
hallerb

In most cases, the old shows are better.

It varies by show, many shows I've edited commercials from are 42-45 minutes per hour (52-56 minutes for PBS shows).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I guess you're using Outhouse Express :)

You actually can, by using 2 VCRs and switching between them. An extremely complex, error prone, and non-worthwhile procedure.

And a lot won't believe it when you tell them.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

"Colbyt" wrote in news:A9Wdnb8D9P5fKwDZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

Peer and beam is pretty common around here so the expense shouldn't be too great. I'm not crazy about nosing around in my crawlspace. My attic is even worse. Only 4 feet of clearance in the very center and blown insulation everywhere. I'd love to get rid of that and start over with sheet. Another post perhaps...

Reply to
crabshell

Look what I started. I hardly have time to watch TV. In fact my attic antenna is looking better every day. The uncompressed signal looks great...

Mark Lloyd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
crabshell

I am not sure where you are now but if you want to put in grounded circuits for your TV, computer and such you should pull in a Romex while you are crawling around down there. Surge protectors are not as effective (or effective at all, some say) without a good ground. Take it all back to your service panel and the ground electrode for the system. Make sure the cable and phone company use the same electrode. No use wiring all this up and having it smoked the first time you have a thunderstorm.. I wouldn't tywrap thew power to the low voltage but don't get your panties in a wad if they are close together. Coax and Cat5 are very good at rejecting 60hz and the little spikes you may see on a Romex, particularly when it is dedicated to the same equipment the coax/cat5 is going to. In fact they make NMS cable with low voltage and line voltage in the same jacket.

Reply to
gfretwell