Coax installation

I need to install some coax in a peer and beam house. Someone told be I need some sort of expensive right angle drill bit. I don't want to drill a big hole in the wall, just one large enough to run the coax through. What do I need exactly to drill through the drywall and down through the floor behind the drywall?

Thanks, crabshell

Reply to
crabshell

I'm assuming that you are referring to construction where there is a basement or crawl space underneath? If so the easiest way I've found is to cut a standard outlet opening to fit an old-work plastic box and then to use a flexible installer's bit inserted vertically into the hole and then to drill straight down. Install the box after the hole and cable are finished. Installer's bits are available in a wide range of lengths but I've settled on a 4-foot bit as being able to do almost anything I normally need. I guess the only exception would be to drill upward from standard outlet height into an attic space (but I'm sure that somebody makes a bit that will do it).

Reply to
John McGaw

John McGaw wrote in news:4FlMg.15424$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

You are correct, however I was hoping to cause less wall damage and just drill a small hole vs. the standard outlet opening.

Reply to
crabshell

If you were very good and very lucky then you _might_ be able to fish wires that way. I did video and audio and alarm and network and communications wiring for more years than I care to think about. Over the decades I learned that things always went better when I allowed myself at least an even chance of pulling off the install before I started considering making a noose from the wires and ending it all.

But why is it that a neatly-installed standard box with a faceplate (which could even be camouflaged in whatever color or finish you prefer) is so undesirable? Surely you must have power outlets and switches in the rooms too.

Reply to
John McGaw

I have a 6 foot bit (which is going dull, and I'm not good at sharpening bits), but from the attic what works in my house is to start in the unfinished attic where the walls below are visible between the sections of sheetrock and drill just through the top plate. More helpful than normal to have someone else downstairs to grab the wire. In one case I had to recruit my mother's husband.

Unless you make a cute round hole**, you're going to need to do something to finish it.

**Maybe you could buy or borrow some of that arthroscopic surgical equipment they have. Hmmm. I think arthroscopic is just for joints but they also do gall bladders etc with that stuff. Hmmm, even then, I'm not sure you can get the plaster to grow back like skin etc. does.
Reply to
mm

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Like everything else, I know coax in every room will become obsolite so I guiess I just wanted to minimize the damage. My sheetrock's texture is difficult to match too...

Reply to
crabshell